La Salle University
Director of Facilities Management
Posting Number: S00)3P
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Vice President of Facilities Management, the Director will take the lead role in the daily management of the University’s facilities ensuring departmental goals and plans align with the University’s Strategic Plan and Mission Statements. The Director of Facilities is responsible for all mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP), roofing, paint and carpentry operations, and maintenance within the buildings on main and satellite campuses. This includes supervision of these shops and oversight and accountability for their respective budgets. Additionally, the Director supports new building design and renovation projects with design review and competitive bidding.
The Director is adept at staff and resource management, has strong strategic and operational planning skills, and is able to balance both short and long-term institutional goals along with competing priorities. Customer service is key for this position as well as establishing a positive culture of safety throughout the institution.
- Independently responsible for the day-to-day operation of the department and receives general supervision from the Assistant Vice President of Facilities. Has the authority to manage the internal operation of the department; to handle personnel matters; approve budgeted projects and expenditures and to make departmental commitments.
- Directs entire staff of Facilities Department, managing over 1.8 million square feet on approximately 130 acres, with a high degree of campus activity year round. Represents the department on all matters of policy, procedures and program development by the department and obtains information that is beneficial for the modification of existing policies, procedures, and programs or in the development of new programs. Also ensures that the Facilities Managers and their staff participate in in University sponsored training seminars, and proactively promotes Facilities Management training using a network of resources.
- Responsible for planning, implementing and coordinating complex programs such as computer assisted inventory control, systems for recording costs to individual department units, energy tracking and conservation management, repair contracts, capital projects, special repairs, deferred maintenance, and planned program maintenance systems.
- Uses knowledge of technical concepts, methods, hardware and procedures in implementing and directing these programs and utilizes this knowledge in monitoring all programs. Prepares progress reports and implements changes when necessary.
- Guides the human and physical resources of each of the department’s units to coordinate their operations in order to attain the goals and objectives of the department and that of the University’s Main Campus, Bucks County- Newtown Campus, Montgomery County Campus and the Allentown Campus.
- Makes departmental commitments and approves projects and expenditures within approval authority.
- Develops long-range proposals which go beyond basic procedural and maintenance matters and include long-range and short-range plans for converting existing systems over to space, labor, time and energy savings systems which result in improved services, cutting costs and implementing new systems and techniques to provide better service to the campus.
- Promotes environmental sustainability through methods of recycling, energy savings practices, and reduce solid waste to create a more environmentally aware campus.
- Ensures compliance with all environmental regulations and policies in conjunction with federal, state, and local governmental guidelines, rules and laws.
- Actively participates in all University Emergency Preparedness drills, and incident Command Operations. Responsible for identifying key personnel whom will also serve on those drills or act in emergency situations.
- Responsible for the oversite and operation of the University motor pool of fleet vehicles including owned, rented and leased.
- Actively works to provide services and support to all areas reporting to the AVP of Facilities Management through regular meetings and interpersonal relationships in support of the department.
- Collaborates with Einstein Health Systems for support and operation of the west campus buildings which both parties have stake and operations in.
- Managing of the off-campus rental properties.
- Management of the Medical Office Building buildings and grounds.
- Daily operation and oversite of the custodial operation.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in facilities management, design and construction, and/or real estate development or equivalent education and experience.
- Ability to manage resources within budget constraints.
- Ability to read blueprints and schematic diagrams.
- Ability to track KPI and other metrics and develop progress reports.
- Knowledge and understanding of national, state and local codes.
- Demonstrated experience working with others as part of a team while maintaining a positive and professional demeanor under frequently fast paced work.
- Demonstrated experience working in a service-oriented environment subject to frequent changing priorities.
- Ability to understand and give verbal and written instructions.
- Computer proficiency and ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point and Outlook.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of La Salle University.
- Professional experience in a college or university campus setting.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in troubleshooting/problem solving the following: building maintenance, control systems, construction techniques/processes, and contract management.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours:
- Serves on-call and must be available during off-business hours.
- Is considered essential personnel and is required to work during times of closure or service interruption.
- Limited travel required (less than 10% of the time).
- Must be sufficiently agile to move about campus, maneuver in tight spaces, and stand/walk for long periods of time.
- Must have the ability to lift/move up to 50 pounds.
Please provide a cover letter/letter of interest and resume/curriculum vitae. For a complete description of position responsibilities, qualifications, and to apply, please visit: https://lasalle.peopleadmin.com/postings/1191.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of background screening checks.
La Salle University is a Roman Catholic university in the tradition of the De La Salle Christian Brothers and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds who can contribute to our unique educational mission.
La Salle University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. AA/EOE M/F/D/V