General Summary of the Position:
Ensure regional and branch offices are in compliance with corporate safety policies; conduct and coordinate safety training programs; update safety manuals; facilitate all accident investigations and assist in handling all liability and workers comp claims; oversee all safety committees; oversee and ensure regulatory and OSHA compliance; and assist in operations manuals. This position will cover multiple states potentially including, but not limited to; California, Nevada, Hawaii, Arizona, Washington, Colorado, Utah, and Texas.
Safety - Ensure regional and branch offices are in compliance with corporate safety policies.
- Train Managers, Supervisors, Foremen
- Conduct Inspections and ensure field complies with Field Safety and Job Hazard Analysis programs
- Work to Reduce Accidents and Illnesses
- Support Field Safety Managers with their Safety Programs
Conduct & Coordinate Safety Training Programs
- Proper Pesticide handling, Storage, Disposal
- First Aid Training
- Illness Prevention Training (poison ivy, Lyme disease, etc.)
- Proactively identify need for any additional safety training (Drug and Alcohol in the workplace, bloodborne pathogens, etc.)
- Traffic Control
- Material Handling
Update Safety Manual
- Communicate updates to employees
Facilitate All Accident Investigations
- Handle and follow through with Insurance Companies
- Maintain log of all accidents/incidents company wide
- Retrain employees when necessary
- Ensure all necessary paperwork is filled out properly; acquire written statements
- Communicate results to appropriate Corporate & Regional personnel
- Maintain monthly Truck & Equipment accident report
- Send monthly YTD claims comparison to Region’s GM’s and Executive VP
- Facilitate carrier/TPA claim response/position according to state and international regulations
- Initiate employee contact following injury and maintain contact with doctor
Claims Handling – All Liability and WC Claims
- Work to minimize workers’ compensation claims company wide
- Coordinate claim reviews with broker and carriers quarterly for all open claims
- Analyze loss reports
- Prepare forecasts of insurance and other risk management costs. Assist accounting department to develop proper allocations of premium charges
Oversee all Company Safety Committees
- Assist to create and oversee all existing committees
- Ensure all committee minutes are communicated to proper personnel
- Ensure safety information remains pertinent and updated
- Coordinate company Drug/Alcohol Policy with HR Department (pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, etc.)
- Proactively train and communicate with employees regarding smoking, workplace violence, sexual harassment, race/age discrimination, etc.
- Ensure Federal DOT controlled substance testing requirements are met
- Coordinate/conduct driver training programs
- Ensure Federal and State DOT compliance and maintain copies of all files at Corporate Office
- Ensure all drivers complete and maintain proper paperwork (log books, current medical cards, etc.)
- Ensure state pesticide compliance – register with current and new states, coordinate annual pesticide usage reports, etc.
- Maintain current list of all employee and state pesticide licenses
- Coordinate all license recertifications
- Ensure proper chemical storage and disposal guidelines are followed
- Ensure technicians assess field conditions where they are mixing, parking vehicles, performing applications, etc.
- Conduct training programs to comply with Hazard Communications regulations
- Ensure compliance with OSHA regulations
- Ensure inspections and audits are completed in timely manner
- Ensure proper policy statements are in place (lock out program, respiratory protection program, etc.)
- Maintain current MSDS files
- File community response plan – county emergency response planning committee and local fire companies
- Maintain, update, train and ensure compliance with PPE program
- Maintain EPA worker protection standards compliance
- Work with broker to secure necessary insurance coverage
- Identify coverage gaps and determine best risk minimization method
- Manage field requests for certificates of insurance with broker
- Provide broker with update of certificate holders to be issued certificate at renewal
- Work with carrier and broker loss prevention representative to address sources of loss and implement corrective action
- Serve as liaison with broker and insurance carriers in management of all auto, property, contractor’s equipment, workers’ compensation and general liability claims
- Maintain database of subcontractors and current approval status
- Review and update necessary subcontractor agreements and insurance coverage requirements
- Travel up to 40%
- Assist in putting together operations manuals for various jobs
- Assist with any special projects
- All other tasks deemed necessary by superiors to ensure safe operations and safety of employees
Directly supervises 4 Safety Managers, carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include: interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Analytical—the individual synthesizes complex or diverse information.
- Experience in business combination and system integration
- Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Oral communication—the individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings.
- Delegation—the individual delegates work assignments, gives authority to work independently, sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Management skills—the individual includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; and develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth.
- Quality management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Judgment—the individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
Education and Experience Required:
Bachelor's degree in construction management, engineering, or related field.
Must have at least 5 years of experience in construction trade and supervisory capacity.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, sit, walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to ten pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to twenty-five pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.
Statewide Traffic Safety and Signs complies with all laws prohibiting discrimination against employees and applicants based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or other protected classifications under applicable law. Statewide Traffic Safety and Signs complies with all federal government contracting laws and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for qualified employees and applicants, such as women, minorities, persons with disabilities and certain groups of veterans. Equal opportunity extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including hiring, promotions, and training, working conditions, compensation and benefits. Statewide Traffic Safety and Sign’s policies and practices reflect our commitment to nondiscrimination in all areas of employment, including contracting opportunities for vendors and suppliers.