The Director of Development oversees resources and aligns priorities to ensure that all software development is delivered on schedule, within budget, and with working code built according to industry best practices. Primary responsibilities also include implementation of technologies required to build, update and maintain the company’s suite of shared services related to the exchange of health information.
To accomplish these tasks, the Director of Development oversees a team of experienced developers and interacts with developers and managers from other organizations.
If you are passionate about software development and how creative, dependable applications can change the healthcare climate across the United States, then we want to hear from you!
Essential Functions and Basic Duties
- Determines requirements, goals, and objectives from executive management and, when directed, from other parties including customers
- Manages development teams that design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, and networks
- Provides development team(s) with day-to-day management and direction to successfully and consistently deliver high-quality working software products on time, within budget and to specification
- Has experience developing and leading successful development projects for web services, Software as a Service and with Service Oriented Architecture
- Has experience developing and leading successful software development projects using Agile or Agile-like methodology (e.g. Agile “light”)
- Consults with external customers or third parties as directed by executive management and develops trusted relationships with external business partners
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or Information Technology, or equivalent work experience
- Fifteen or more years of experience in software development
- Five or more years in software development project leadership role(s)
- Five or more years managing development of software projects leading to software put into production successfully, on time, and within budget
- Excellent communication and leadership skills, as the individual in this position will regularly report progress and issues to the Senior Executive Vice President, the Executive Director, and possibly the Board of Directors
- Familiarity with consumer privacy, financial or healthcare industry compliance requirements
- Experience in a fast-paced/customer-centric agile startup environment
- Experience building robust and scalable distributed systems and experience with multi-tiered production application deployments
- High proficiency in cloud design and deployment models including automation, orchestration and scale
- Strong object-oriented programming background
- Experience with scalable cloud deployment environments such as AWS
- Experience using code collaboration tools such as Jira and Bit Bucket
- Knowledge of Internet protocols and RFC standards, database management systems