The document and data controller is responsible for compiling and entering engineering related documentation into the Thorlabs Quantum Electronics ERP system and to smooth the transition from development to manufacturing. This individual works closely with the Engineers to process documents related to product improvements, changes, and new product development. The individual requires excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. This role works in concert with production, purchasing, inventory control and marketing to ensure that all details are followed on the ECO and the release of the ECO’s are distributed worldwide. Although the location of the position is in Jessup, MD, but from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for data entry, document revision and control in the Thorlabs ERP system. Assists in positioning and reviewing ECOs with proper ECO classification and including all products affected by the changes.
- Investigates problems with documentation by working with engineering, production, and purchasing.
- Responsible for setting up and reviewing Items / BOMs and their settings, electronically filing drawings, assembly instructions and miscellaneous engineering and product related documents.
- Collects and maintains files of the latest revision level documentation necessary to process initial releases, corrections and revisions to accurately control manufacturing processes.
- Train engineers to provide all information needed in the correct form to smoothen transition from engineering into the system
- Coordinates sending out task emails, ensure scheduling of preproduction meetings between Engineering and Production, and submitting of ECO for approval.
- Managing of latest revision level documentation and timely distribution to appropriate users and ensure that obsolete documentation is removed from distribution.
- Actively participates in efforts to increase workflow and process improvement.
- Implements easier changes and updates to existing products assigned by engineering.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a similar and progressive position preferred.
- Associates degree or equivalent work experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience with ERP System and/or PDM/PLM Systems
- Experience in setting up bill of materials and manufacturing routes
- Highly proficient in MS Word and EXCEL
- Ability to work independently and with little instruction
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as procedure manuals, routine reports, and correspondence.
- Working knowledge of CAD
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.