Downstream Process Engineer/ Scientist:
Seeking an exceptional, highly-motivated Downstream Process Engineer/Scientist with expertise in commercial-scale purification of industrial or food-grade enzymes (both intra- and extra-cellular), other proteins and/or nucleic acids to work on the process development and scale-up of cutting edge technology in Cell-free Bioprocessing. The successful candidate will define and develop scalable recovery processes at the benchtop scale by applying state-of-the-art DSP techniques in the context of milestone-driven projects and will scale those processes from benchtop to pilot to commercial-scale. Strong technical, organizational, and communication skills, as well as the ability to develop creative cost-effective solutions to challenging problems, are essential. Level dependent on qualifications including relevant experience.
- Design and develop robust purification schemes for recovering enzymes, proteins and/or nucleic acids from microbial cells using scalable separation techniques (e.g., protein precipitation techniques, TFF/MF/UF/DF, chromatography).
- Collaborate with enzymologists and molecular engineers to achieve purity and composition requirements.
- Work with the technoeconomic modeling group to define downstream processes in silico, including design schemes, associated costs, and relevant technical assumptions.
- Identify, evaluate, and integrate new processes and equipment within the laboratory and at larger
- Scale benchtop-scale purification processes to pilot-scale and industrial-scale.
- Develop an overall process understanding and provide suggestions/feedback to upstream processes.
- Provide technical support and troubleshooting assistance for commercial scale operations.
- Assist with the development of detailed technology transfer documents to accelerate larger scale implementation.
- Interface with internal subject matter experts to coordinate communications with external partners and oversee activities at external partners, as necessary.
- Work with other team members to accomplish project goals and milestones.
- Use creative problem-solving skills to independently troubleshoot experimental challenges.
- Continuously contribute to the company’s intellectual property portfolio and routinely track and document results in laboratory notebooks and data bases.
- Analyze, summarize, and present experimental results to team members.
- Effectively use current published information to understand current practices and innovations being considered to establish a fundamental understanding of the technology and to build a foundation for Greenlight process development.
- B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in chemical engineering, bioengineering, biochemistry, or equivalent.
- 5+ years of commercial experience developing and scaling downstream processes for the purification of industrial or food grade proteins and/or nucleic acids from microbial sources.
- Strong commercial experience and process development expertise in protein purification is required.
- Expertise with scalable separation techniques, such as filtration (MF/TFF/DF/UF), protein precipitation techniques and chromatography is required.
- Experience in nucleic acid purification is a plus.
- Expertise with scalable cell rupture methods is a plus.
- Must be highly-motivated with exceptional communication, leadership, and teamwork skills.