PRIMARY PURPOSE: Provide onsite technical expertise in all aspects of the company’s environmental, occupational health and safety programs to ensure a safe and healthy workplace and compliance with local, state and national regulatory agencies and with corporate guidelines.
1. Implement environmental, health, and safety systems and programs (e.g. HAZCOM, Respiratory Protection, Chemical Hygiene Plan, Injury and Illness Prevention Plan, Confined Space, etc.)
2. Observe and audit safety and environmental practices, workplace conditions, and operations and provide status reports and recommendations for improvement to management.
3. Oversee onsite emergency response program, partnering with Emergency Coordinator Team, Facilities staff, and local emergency responders (Fire Department).
4. Ensure compliance with Hazardous Waste Management program. Perform evaluation/audits on Treatment/Storage/Disposal Facilities to limit potential liability and financial exposure. Work with vendor to manage waste appropriately. Coordinate hazardous waste shipments and maintain records according to DTSC and DOT requirements. Prepare annual summary and required reports.
5. Conduct industrial hygiene surveys to identify processes that pose a risk to the health and safety of employees and make recommendations for improvement. Maintain, operate, and calibrate industrial hygiene monitoring and sampling equipment.
6. Complete accident investigations, including root cause analysis and corrective action. Develop strategies to prevent future recurrence. Complete required OSHA record keeping and Workers Compensation procedures.
7. Enhance employee safety and well-being through education, behavioral change, cultural support and the continual process of safety improvement. Promote constructive, proactive discussions, action, and closure to all safety concerns and suggestions. Help identify issues and drive to implement solutions.
8. Conduct Job Hazard Assessments and PPE Evaluations for a variety of laboratory settings.
9. Prepare and file regulatory reports, maintain permits, and coordinate inspections with local, state, and federal agencies (air board, industrial water, storm water, CUPA, DTSC, DEA, etc).
10. Conduct employee training for relevant safety and environmental programs.
11. Perform hazard evaluation/safety review of new reagents, production processes, and procedures to determine potential impact on employee health, safety, or regulatory compliance.
12. Monitor chemical inventory levels as compared to regulatory requirements (HMBP, CALARP, building code, NFPA, etc.). Assure proper storage of hazardous materials and hazardous wastes according to government regulations and sound technical judgment.
13. Maintain current awareness of industry environmental and safety practices and standards, as well as government regulations. Make recommendations regarding equipment and programs to ensure ongoing compliance.
14. Understands and complies with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Requires a BA or BS in a scientific, industrial, health, or environmental field.
2. Minimum of 5 years experience working in an EH&S capacity, preferably in the life science industry in California.
3. Extensive knowledge of hazardous materials and hazardous waste compliance requirements.
4. Demonstrated ability to relate to and interact with a large group of people with diverse needs and goals to meet the overall goals and objectives of the company.
5. Ability to work in an environment with multiple short-term deadlines, frequent interruptions, and changing priorities.
6. Ability to build relationships with all levels of employees, outside consultants, and vendors.
7. Excellent oral, written, and computer skills.
8. Ability to work independently.
1. Degree in Occupational Health and Safety or Industrial Hygiene.
2. Hazwoper certified.
3. 49CFR (DOT) Shipper certified and experience preparing Dangerous Goods shipments.
4. Previous experience on an Emergency Response or Spill Response team.
1. Reading: Excellent reading and comprehension skills needed.
2. Writing: Excellent writing skills needed.
3. Verbal: Excellent presentation skills needed.
4. Math: Advanced math skills.
1. Must be able to move about the building, the labs, and offices while performing the tasks described above.
2. Must be able to stand for moderate periods of time.
3. Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds on an occasional basis.
4. Must be able to stoop, bend, crouch, kneel, push and pull, climb stairs and ladders on an occasional basis.
5. Must be able to identify and distinguish colors.
6. Requires corrected vision for near (within 20 cm) and far (greater than 3m) activities.
7. Must be able to use a computer.
8. Must be able to wear appropriate safety equipment.
1. The primary work area could be anywhere within the facility.
2. Exposure to hazardous compounds with proper personal protective gear.
3. Exposure to cold, freezing and sub-zero temperatures may occur.
4. Exposure to high temperatures may occur.
5. Exposure to noise may occur.
Promega Biosciences, located in San Luis Obispo, blends innovative research in chemistry with excellence in manufacturing to meet the rapidly changing needs of the scientific community. We synthesize and manufacture essential reagents to help Promega succeed as a life science leader.
Our areas of expertise include synthesis, process design and scale-up, and commercial manufacturing (grams to kilograms) of modified luciferins and coelenterazines. These pro-bioluminescent products aid in life science research. We bring pride, passion, and purpose to our work and the products we provide.
Promega Biosciences offers its employees a work environment that encourages creativity, work-life balance, and personal and professional growth. We support community involvement and are committed to being good stewards and reducing our impact on the environment. Promega fosters a positive, fun, and warm family culture. To learn more about our values, please visit our Corporate Responsibility website.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including comprehensive medical insurance, dental and vision insurance, 401k matching, company-paid life insurance, time-off benefits, and more.
Our San Luis Obispo facility is at the heart of California’s beautiful central coast. San Luis Obispo is a destination for wine aficionados, nature lovers, and pleasure-seekers alike. You might enjoy views of the Pacific Ocean from one of our scenic Nine Sisters, a chain of volcanic peaks that run along the coast. Or, spend a day gallivanting around the many wineries, local boutiques, and renowned restaurants in the area. Proclaimed as the “happiest town in the USA”, our community provides a rich and rewarding place to live and play. To learn more about San Luis Obispo, check out the VisitSLO website.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.