EHS Programs Specialist
Provide technical expertise to department & senior level analysis to site managers in a wide range of environmental, health & safety disciplines to achieve compliance w/ company EHS standards (national, provincial/statewide & local requirements).
- EHS Programs Specialist be directly responsible for ongoing support & coordination of multiple key EHS programs the plant level. Programs include, but are not limited to PSM/RMP,, VPP, ISO, Radiation Safety, chemical management (TSCA, GHS / SDS, etc.) plus Waste Management (RCRA).
- Responsible to develop, implement & monitor EHS programs that comply w/ all relevant laws, regulations & guidelines plus minimize unsafe acts & conditions in the workplace. Act as technical resource in areas of specialty.
- Advise management of policies, standards, & compile pertinent info for reporting.
- Safety Health & Environmental Compliance Management
- Develop, implement, & monitor EHS compliance programs
- Own all aspects of the PSM / RMP program including Process Hazard Analysis, Corrective Actions, &Management of Change processes.
- Collect, evaluate & analyze data to manage EHS info. Monitor & track safety & health performance.
- Create &/or run reports for distribution to management or oversee management reporting.
- Prepare reports & recommend corrective action as needed.
- Monitor & safeguard against chemical, physical, biological hazards & diseases that could be in the workplace.
- Participate in & lead investigations of incidents, injuries, or complaints concerning potentially hazardous conditions in the workplace.
- Conduct EHS inspections, meetings & follow-up.
- Collaborate w/ employees & supervisors to identify, correct potential safety & health hazards. Recommend improvements in processes, design, procedures & operating equipment to minimize the hazardous potential.
- Track & monitor existing or pending regulations & make strategic recommendations &/or lead advocacy efforts. Additionally, ensure awareness of all applicable laws & regulations by maintaining a close liaison w/ relevant regulatory officials as needed.
- Provide regulatory interpretation & technical advice to Management & facility personnel in assessing & achieving compliance in areas relevant to areas of expertise (i.e. chemical safety, hazardous waste, non-hazardous solid waste, radiation, toxicology, etc.)
- Obtain licenses & permits & provide advice & provide technical support to facility personnel on their implementation & compliance aspects
- Support evaluation & implementation of facility modifications & expansions & construction including participation in capital project planning & approvals.
- Support evaluation of new product lines by reviewing new products, equipment, & processes for potential hazards & recommend modifications before introduction. Participate in developing corrective measures.
- Conduct comprehensive compliance assurance reviews of EHS policies & procedures.
- Ensure that all plant activities are conducted in a safe & productive manner. Provide assistance in assessing & achieving Corporate EHS goals & objectives. • Develop & conduct employee training, emergency preparedness & quality assurance programs.
- Actively participate on external & internal committees & teams, such the plant safety committee, VPP best practice sharing committee, etc.
- Represent COMPANY to external trade & scientific associations & required
- Maintains expert knowledge of specific requirements imposed government agencies. Acts as lead person or technical expert providing functional direction & training in application of many of the occupational health & safety programs.
- Oversee requirements of hazardous waste activities including: proper storage, labeling, manifesting & container inspections.
- Development of EHS management systems for the site. Collects & distributes site EHS management info.
- Manage databases & document record keeping required for assuring compliance w/ EHS regulations & standards.
- Participate in the preparation & administration of site EHS training. Promote & train employees in the use of safety equipment & in the safe use of machinery.
- Administer ergonomics programs & oversee EHS committees at the site.
- Ensure 24/7 permitting compliance; Conduct sampling, perform auditing, & respond to any potential issues in a timely manner.
Risk Management, Industrial Hygiene, & Medical Services Support
- Investigate incidents, prepare incident reports, & process hazard reviews to analyze site incidents.
- Work w/ site nurse to administer site medical surveillance programs for respiratory protection, hearing conservation, & industrial hygiene monitoring of laboratories.
- Conduct noise level surveys & measure air quality, using precision instruments.
- Develop & monitor emergency action plans. Recommend changes to policies & procedures to prevent accidents & illness.
- Conduct / Coordinate in job hazard assessments for determination of personal protective equipment requirements & hazardous energy control procedures. • Manage Management of Change (MOC), Corrective Action Request (CAR) & Incident Investigation (II) processes bringing items to resolution in a timely manner.
- Conduct meetings & collaborate w/ all plant personnel to assure understanding of required work group safety activities & performance expectations. Coach employees to obtain compliance w/ regulations & encourage group participation.
- Participates on internal site committees & teams, as appropriate.
- Work w/ outside vendors, consultants, regulatory agencies, & visitors as needed.
- Complete all required reporting accurately & on time.
- Accountable to manage activities w/in a set budget
- Ability to optimize activities & continuously improve operations to streamline EHS & related functions to have efficiency & cost savings benefits.
- Demonstrated technical capabilities in specialty areas
- Ability to work w/ others in a team environment; excellent oral & written communication skills
- Planning, organizational & analytical skills;
- Detail orientate & ability to complete tasks on time w/ minimal oversight
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Bachelor/University degree in related field & a minimum 3 years of experience or Associate degree in a related field & a minimum 8 years’ experience
- Willing & able to learn all aspects of the EHS depart & act as back-up for various duties
- Must be able to obtain Radiation Safety Officer Certificate w/in 18 months.
- Willing & able to be an active Emergency Response Team (ERT) member.
- Participate in on-call rotation including off hours, weekend, & holiday on-call requirements & able to respond to emergencies as needed.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident Green Card Holder due to ITAR Regulations