Jacobs has partnered with NASA to support space flight programs for more than 40 years. While the majority of work is directly in support of LaRC, other industry partners and Government agencies may be supported at remote sites as directed by the Contracting Officer (CO). The Center Maintenance, Operations, and Engineering (CMOE) contract comprises of three major categories of work - operations, maintenance, and engineering (OME), as described below. *Maintenance - Research and institutional facility maintenance includes, but not limited to, preventive maintenance, trouble calls, repairs, Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM), Facility Condition Assessment (FCA), and maintenance/operation of central utilities (e.g., electrical power distribution, potable water, storm water drainage) *Operations - Facilities Operations support includes, but not limited to, wind tunnels, laboratories, and test stands testing, instrumentation calibration/repair; plant and utilities (e.g., high pressure air, Liquid Nitrogen (LN2) and Steam Plant); technology development and administration, including, but not limited to, Facility Automation Systems (FAS) and Data Acquisition Systems (DAS) *Engineering - Facility engineering includes, but not limited to, engineering studies, design, construction, construction management, configuration management, tactical engineering, pressure system recertification, project management/planning support
- Provide technical controls and instrumentation system designs and drafting; Coordinates work with project management; senior engineers and drafters
- Performs creative design from general concepts, basic and independent engineering analysis, liaison, and field monitoring.
- Performs complex drafting assignments with general instructions and working from furnished or self-generated computations and sketches.
- Evaluates functional feasibility of designs and their conformance to specifications; uses company and/or client drafting standards and specifications and engineering computations and sketches to assess the accuracy and acceptability of drawings prepared by other drafters, or designers. Instructs originators in the correction of noted deficiencies and certifies completeness of final drawing packages.
- Prepares sketches to be drawn by others; maintain drafting standards and suggest new standards or changes to existing standards; proficient in operating CAD and ReVIT software in preparation of design documents.
- Provides technical guidance to assigned team assisting senior engineer, senior designers, project managers in providing design support to projects including Perform electrical controls assignments and work from designs of others. Prepares design concepts/layouts; independently performs basic engineering analysis to size and select equipment and materials.
- Compile data, perform elementary design computations, prepare estimates, prepare equipment arrangement plans, conduit / cabling diagrams, select components and develop bill of materials, develop controls and instrumentation schematics, ladder logic diagrams, interconnection wiring diagrams, Support P&IDs development, PLC controls, I/O list, instrument devices, control panel assembly and layout diagrams, consult manufacturers, vendor research, evaluate materials, write specifications, prepare construction cost estimates, provide professional electrical/controls engineering support within allocated task resources, and work under supervision. AutoCAD experience in release 2015 or better and knowledge of National Electrical Code is preferred.
- Plans drafting work to be accomplished in support of specific projects; prepares drawing lists and coordinates job with engineers, detailers, and checkers.
U.S. Citizenship is required. Two (2) years of college with course in engineering or associated discipline, and six (6) years of related experience or any equivalent combination of education and/or experience for a total of eight (8) years. Position requires comprehensive knowledge of programs gained through long and varied work experience in field of specialty. Must be able to effectively communicate both orally and written with effective use of visual aids. Should be able to use computing technology for problem analysis and solution.
Requires knowledge in the use of drafting instruments and equipment, and in the application of drafting principles (descriptive geometry, freehand lettering, dimensioning, layout, detail, etc.), and a general working knowledge of shop and field erection processes associated with mechanical/structural, electrical or architectural design.
Previous experience with computer terminals is highly desirable. Requires an advanced understanding of all drafting practices and procedures, plus the ability to perform and apply a variety of mathematical calculations and a thorough working knowledge of shop and field erection/assembly processes in the mechanical/structural, electrical, or architectural areas. Must demonstrate good leadership, organization, planning, communication, and problem solving capability. Additional relevant education may be substituted for a portion of the progressive experience. Must have working knowledge of CAE/CAD systems. Must be able to effectively communicate both orally and written with effective use of visual aids. Should be able to use computing technology for problem analysis and solution.
Office Environment. (90%)
Test/Industrial Environment - May be exposed to areas of high noise levels, hazardous propellants, explosives, chemicals and industrial facilities. Travel between facilities and test sites is required. (10%)
Must have sufficient mobility to enter into confined spaces, crawl into or onto various assemblies while maintaining a clear vision of safety is required. Potential exposure to high noise levels, hazardous chemicals, propellants and the like. Appropriate PPE and training will be provided for all conditions (20%). Must be able to walk, stand, bend, twist and sit for extended periods as well as climb, crawl, and lift up to 35 lbs.
Equipment and Machines:
Standard office equipment - PC, telephone, fax, copier, etc.
Software: MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) (50%)
Regular attendance mandatory (100%)
Overtime/work outside normal schedule required (<20%)
Other Essential Functions:
U.S. Citizenship required. Must be able to work in a team atmosphere. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety/risk hazard to the employee or others. Must be able to balance scope, schedule and budget to insure project success. The work environment requires the ability to cooperate and work with individuals at all levels of the company and the client. Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance as required. A valid driver's license is required.