Electrical Engineer - Battery & Energy Storage
Electrical Engineer - Battery & Energy Storage:
Electrical Engineer - Battery & Energy Storage job open with Maxwell Technologies in San Diego, CA.
Position located in San Diego. Relation package provided
The Power Systems Electrical Engineer is a full-time job for an engineer to perform modeling and simulation of energy storage power systems with an emphasis on the distribution grid. This position entails hands-on modeling and simulation of the impact of new, innovative, dynamic, distributed power electronics technologies on the electric grid using commercially available simulation tools. Modeling and simulation challenges when dealing with mid-to-large scale energy storage systems requires a knowledge of utility GTD (Generation. Transmission and Distribution) systems, the interaction of large-scale solar and wind on the utility system and, energy storage systems such as lithium-ion batteries and/or other advanced energy storage technologies.
This position entails planning, design, modeling, data collection and analysis of integrated power and energy storage systems and requires highly detailed and intensive system analysis
Power Systems Electrical Engineer:
Duties & Responsibilities
Responsibilities of the Power Systems Electrical Engineer include developing accurate models to assess, design and confirm the addition of energy storage for renewables integration in grid projects; analyzing hosting capacities in utility distribution grids and microgrids; evaluation of performance and interaction of energy storage in the form of batteries, supercapacitors and traditional thermal based generators in these circuits, and design and analyze power systems to incorporate and reasonably integrate advanced energy storage on existing and new grids and microgrids.
The primary duties will include sizing and simulation of varying advanced battery chemistries, advanced energy storage technologies and supercapacitors and inverters in large systems in an environment of large solar and wind generation.
Direct Areas of expertise Required to Support Grid Projects:
- Knowledge of different energy storage technologies used in the Grid i.e. batteries, supercapacitors
- Perform modeling and simulation of complex distribution systems with different types of assets such as line voltage regulators, load-tap changers, capacitor banks, cables, etc.
- Model dynamic sources of real and reactive power such as inverters, grid edge devices, and integrated energy storage solutions. Provide support for the marketing and sales team (pre- and post-) to develop and simulate various use cases in response to customer site specific requirements
- Integration and impact analysis of distributed generation on distribution systems, power system modeling, analysis and simulation of transmission and distribution systems
- Renewable energy grid integration, to include: wind and solar plant studies
- Distributed generation interconnection analysis
- Assist in creating design solutions and preparing presentations for interfacing with customers
- Renewable energy (specifically wind and solar projects from 1MW to over 200MW-ac) and distributed generation and integration. Impact analysis of distribution and transmission systems
- Direct experience with enhanced voltage and frequency regulation, reactive power capability and control functions to utilize this capability
- Perform analysis and modeling of distributed energy resource issues and remediation strategies as related to battery energy storage for reverse power and fault current flows; voltage fluctuation; distribution feeder section loading; power losses as related to PV loading; unintentional islanding; ground fault overvoltage; harmonics; effects of fast transients caused by cloud shading and dynamic wind conditions; unwanted control interaction between battery energy storage systems and large-scale inverters already installed in the distribution circuits; feeder imbalance.
- Experience with power system design, modeling, and analysis (distribution system analysis)
- Some communication and control knowledge of DNP-3 and IEC 61850 control and communication systems is a plus)
- Strong fundamentals of electric power systems and electric circuit theory with the ability to perform Power quality analysis, power system transient and harmonic analysis
- Ability to structure and perform project level modeling, analysis, and case studies. Modeling and model verification testing with appropriate modeling tools
- Skills in steady state, the quasi-steady-state, dynamic, and transient analysis in utility circuits
Candidate must be skilled in the use of state of the art simulation tools such as
- PSCAD; MATLAB Simulink; RSCAD, Aspen; Design Base; Gridiant; PSLF, PSS/E; Open DSS; GridLAB-D; CymeDIST; DigSilent; PSS/Sincal; Nexant Grid360.
Power Systems Electrical Engineer:
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Required: MS or Ph.D. in electrical engineering from an accredited university7+ years of commercial system modeling experience including grid integration of renewable energy storage projects in the 1MW to 100MW+ size
- Advanced working knowledge of battery energy storage and storage technologies
- Experienced distribution grid and microgrid design, modeling, analysis and report generation
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to present data analysis and simulation results internally and to customer
- Ability to collaborate and interact with clients and other project team members
About Maxwell Technologies
For almost 50 years, our world-class research and product development teams have established Maxwell Technologies as a global leader in developing, manufacturing and marketing energy storage and power delivery solutions for automotive, heavy transportation, renewable energy, backup power, wireless communications and industrial and consumer electronics applications as well as for radiation-hardened microelectronic components and systems for satellites and spacecraft. Maxwell products are designed and built to provide failure-free performance for the life of the most demanding applications.
- Medical /dental/ voluntary vision insurance
- 100% Paid group life & accidental insurance
- 100% Paid long-term disability plan
- 100% Paid employee assistance program
- Flexible spending accounts
- Comprehensive vacation, sick, and 10 paid holidays
- 401k plan with company match
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Educational reimbursement
- Employee discounts with Verizon/AT&T and CDW.com
- Wellness program
- Credit union
- Employee Recognition Programs such as service awards, patent awards, and company events
- Employee Events
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Mobile Phone Discount
- Paid Holidays
- Paid sick days
- Stock Options