California Water Service (Cal Water) invites you to pursue a career with the largest investor-owned American water utility west of the Mississippi River and the third-largest publicly traded water utility in the country. Formed in 1926, the San Jose-based company was named one of the Bay Area's Top Workplaces several years in a row. Cal Water employees pride themselves on sharing a commitment to being the leader in providing its customers and communities with traditional and innovative utility services.
Cal Water offers a generous total compensation package. We have competitive salaries and match a portion of employees' contributions to their Company 401(k). In addition, we provide a Company-funded pension plan, great healthcare benefits that provide coverage to employees and dependents, and generous tuition reimbursement. In addition, employees receive 11 paid holidays and three floating holidays per year, and two weeks of sick leave and vacation.
We are committed to hiring the best candidates, developing current employees, and promoting from within. Continuous improvement and employee development opportunities allow employees to acquire knowledge and skills necessary to progress and reach your career goals.
The Electrical Engineer is responsible for electrical and controls engineering related to the planning, design, project and construction management of water facilities. The Electrical Engineer must possess a detailed knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC), electrical construction, and motor control centers. This position is located in San Jose, CA.
Prepares construction drawings and writes specifications in the process of completing electrical design of above and below ground water system facilities
Performs advanced engineering calculations for low and medium voltage power distribution and motor control including:
- Short circuit current calculations
- Voltage drop calculations
- Breaker coordination studies
- Prepares construction contracts, bids projects, and awards contracts
- Specifies, develops bid packages, and procures major equipment
- Prepares requests for proposals (RFP) and analyzes/selects successful consultants or vendors
- Manages project scope, schedule, and budget
- Manages and communicates with project-specific contractors, consultants, agencies, and staff
- Prepares data tables, graphs, cost estimations, justifications, and reports required for evaluations and projects in multiple water systems
- Interprets and understands engineering construction reports and drawings and provides input or guidance
- Prepares and publishes various documents and reports for distribution to communities as well as state and local government agencies
- Utilizes Company financial software to accurately monitor project costs during and at the end of a project
- Provides input and assists in the Company’s Public Utility Commission (PUC) rate case filings including cost estimating and justification for projects
- Provides input and assists in the preparation of the Company’s annual capital budget
- Provides construction management and shared field inspection at the location of the project construction
- Provides technical support for system operations and maintenance
- Presents information in a public forum to state or local government agencies, special districts or local communities
- Participates in and supports the Company’s Continuous Improvement program and projects
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering and/or equivalent relevant water utility experience
- Two years of experience working as an electrical engineer
- Project management skills
- Ability to efficiently manage and prioritize multiple projects and tasks.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Experience with AutoCAD software and development of design plans
- Valid California Driver License
- California Engineer in Training (EIT) certification or California Professional Electrical Engineer (CA PE) registration desirable
- Detailed knowledge and experience in the following areas:
- Design of motor control centers
- Knowledge of National Electrical Code
- Electrical construction
- Working with consultants and contractors
- Water, wastewater, or other related process industry experience
Deadline to submit resume is Thursday, June 28, 2018.
The Equal Opportunity Policy of the Company is based upon the philosophy that all people should be treated fairly and with dignity. California Water Service, Hawaii Water Service Company, New Mexico Water Service Company and Washington Water Service Company do not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or any other protected class. The Company makes all employment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner. EOE, VET, DISABILITIES