Working in Northrop Grumman Mission Systems means making a direct contribution to mission projects that keep our homeland safe, expanding the boundaries of possibility and reshaping the world we live in. We are seeking a candidate for a Research Development Engineer to join our exceptional team in our Woodland Hills, CA location. The technical work will be challenging and will provide the opportunity to develop and implement unique, state-of-the-art scientific algorithms.
Roles and Responsibilities may include:
- Designing signal processing algorithms to extract signals from noisy data.
- Probing large quantities of sensor data to uncover, understand, and exploit complex phenomenology.
- Developing and applying artificial intelligence and machine learning approaches to accomplish mission objectives.
- Prototyping algorithms in MATLAB, IDL, Python, C, and/or C++.
- Measuring algorithm performance as applied to a variety of sensor data.
- Collaborating with a software engineering team to facilitate algorithm implementation in real-time code.
- Presenting technical progress at technical review meetings, and documenting results via written reports.
This requisition may be filled at a higher grade based on qualifications listed below.
This requisition may be filled at either a level 3 or a level 4.
The basic requirements for a level 3 requires a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Physics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline with a minimum of 5 years of relevant technical experience, a Master's Degree with a minimum of 3 years of relevant technical experience, or Ph.D. and 0 years' experience.
The basic requirements for a level 4 requires a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Physics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline with a minimum of 9 years of relevant technical experience, a Master's Degree with a minimum of 7 years of relevant technical experience, or Ph.D. and a minimum of 4 years of relevant technical experience.
Additional qualifications for both levels are:
- Must be a U.S. citizen with the ability to obtain a Top Secret Security Clearance required.
- Demonstrated success developing technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Ph.D. in Physics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline.
- Experience in any of the following areas is highly desired: data analysis, artificial intelligence/machine learning, signal processing techniques, statistical decision theory, and algorithm development, particularly as applied to complex sensor systems.
- Proficiency with scientific prototyping languages such as MATLAB, IDL, Python, and/or Mathematica.
- Familiarity with signal processing algorithm design and implementation in C and/or C++, and real-time parallel processing.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.