Magna Powertrain is a premier supplier for the global automotive industry with full capabilities in powertrain design, development, testing and manufacturing. Offering complete system integration sets us apart from our competitors. An operating group of Magna International, Magna Powertrain is headquartered in Troy, Michigan with 50 plus locations globally.
Responsible for the development of embedded software in C/C++ programming language.
- Designs and develops low level driver software including:
- programming in C and assembly language for low level drivers, such as boot loaders, A/D drivers, CAN communications, diagnostics, etc.
- hardware/software integration,
- memory usage analysis, stack usage analysis, timing analysis and throughput analysis.
- Develops software requirements specifications and software functional specifications, including:
- performing requirement analysis,
- software architecture design and optimization,
- data structure design,
- low level software requirement development,
- Performs coding, unit testing, debugging and modifying of complex embedded systems software to ensure project objectives and schedules are met. .
- Coordinates and participates in software design reviews and code reviews.
- Documents and archives software program releases in accordance with company software development process.
- Works closely with a team of other highly skilled engineering professionals to solve cross functional design issues and deliver top quality products to the end user.
- Provides technical expertise on embedded software to multiple project teams, assists in the resolution of product based technical issues.
Knowledge and Education
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering with a strong background in software development and/or software engineering or equivalent experience.
- Strong C, programming skills and assembly languages with expertise in well structured and documented analysis, design and coding.
- A minimum of three (3) years of automotive embedded systems software development and/or software engineering.
- Experience with automotive CAN communications (preferably GM-LAN) and diagnostics.
- Experience with Vector tools (CANape, CANalyzer)
- Working knowledge of version control and bug tracking software preferably MKS, but not required.
- Experience with logic analyzers, scopes and multimeters.
- Experience with Freescale 16 and/or 32 bit MCUs and Code Warrior or Infineon Series 3/7 compiler preferred, but not required.
- Experience with CMMI and/or SPICE preferred, not required
Skills and Competencies
Key Behavioral Traits For Success:
- Continuous Quality & Performance Improvement: Able to encourage team members to share ideas that lead to improvement; minimize barriers to accomplishing the team's work; hold others accountable for identifying and removing obstacles that negatively affect quality; monitor the group's processes for quality and efficiency issues that become targets for improvement; establish measures/benchmarks to track individual and/or team performance.
- Creativity & Innovation: Able to apply innovative solutions to improve group performance; challenge others to identify creative approaches to problems; provide support and encouragement to others when they attempt to innovate, even when they fail; generate new ideas that are often implemented by others; build on the suggestions/ideas of others to lead to new approaches and improvements.
- Flexibility & Achieving Change: Able to help others overcome their resistance to change; gain others' willing participation for change initiatives; help others translate new change goals into practical implementation steps and adapt to change without disruption of productivity; coach others in accomplishing goals in an unstructured environment.
- Problem Solving & Analysis: Able to model a systematic approach to problem solving; seek information and perspectives from both inside and outside the team to better understand and solve problems; involve others in solving problems that affect them; coach others to routinely anticipate and prevent avoidable problems; coach others on how to analyze data and evaluate alternatives to solve problems.
- Technical/Functional Expertise: Able to serve as a source of technical/functional expertise and perspective to others; demonstrate a breadth of technical/functional knowledge outside of core specialty; provide others with opportunities for technical growth; develop the technical competence of others as a way to achieve results; hold people accountable for technical excellence.
Office environment; 10% Travel possible.
While working in this environment, the employee may be exposed to machinery, moving equipment and material, moderate noise, airborne particles, fumes and various levels of temperature created by the manufacturing process.