At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact peopleâ€™s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work â€ and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, theyâ€™re making history.
The candidate will be responsible for developing optical designs for potential future space optical payloads from ultra-violet through very long wavelength infrared application. In addition the candidate will be responsible for supporting the SBIRS program in a number of different roles such as payload integration and alignment, optical telescope assembly procurement, and test facility maintenance. This person will need to model the optical design and performance using CodeV or Zemax; assess and mitigate stray light effects using TracePro, Apart, or ASAP; have a good understanding of Fourier/diffraction optics, optical materials and technologies, laser physics, radiometry and focal plane technologies; understand of opto-mechanics, optical thermal effects, and coatings; and have working experience in alignment and tolerancing, fabrication, assembly and integration, cleaning, testing of optical elements and optical systems, and procurement of optical systems.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Optical Sciences, Optical Design Engineering
- Minimum of9 years of technical engineering experience required
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoDSecret clearance. U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Experience using optical design tools:
- CodeV, and/or Zemax;
- Experience using stray light analysis tools:
- Apart, TracePro, and/or ASAP
- Experience in developing, building, testing, and fielding space based optical systems
- Experience in rapid development/demonstration programs
- PhD in Optical Sciences
- 20 years of technical engineering experience
- Active Top Secret clearanceand SCI access
- Experience working with MatLab
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.