Brief Posting Description
The Resource Planning Engineer is responsible for developing and maintaining production cost modeling of power resources and analyzing power supply alternatives and resources mix. Perform, develop, coordinate and maintain production cost modeling of Tri-State's power resources, including future resource options. Analyze Tri-State's power supply alternatives and optimum Tri-State resource mix. Provide technical support in preparation of short term and intermediate term operating plans.
Note: There is one position available, and the position will be filled at one of four levels: Engineer I (NB18), Engineer II (NB20), Engineer III (NB22) or Senior Engineer (NB23). This decision will be based on the qualifications/experience of the selected candidate and Tri-State business needs at the time of hire.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform, develop, coordinate and maintain production cost modeling of Tri-State's power resources, including future resource options.
- Maintain, define and continuously improve Tri-State's operational and financial generation characteristic data used in appropriate optimization tools.
- Analyze Tri-State's power supply alternatives and optimum Tri-State resource mix using appropriate tools.
- Provide technical support in preparation of short term and intermediate term operating plans.
- Develop long-range loads and resources plans.
- Develop tools and methods to effectively summarize key results of modeling runs.
- Conduct economic analyses, and prepare the necessary reports and recommendations.
- Assist in the development, implementation and maintenance of load and resource optimization tools.
- Represent Tri-State on various technical committees, as assigned.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual budget and long term financial forecast.
- Perform special studies, analyses, and cost estimates.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Planning: ability to think ahead and plan within timelines and resources; develop scopes, plan and schedule work; set priorities and goals; anticipate and adjust for problems; evaluate workloads; measure and evaluate performance against established goals.
- Time management: ability to successfully plan and implement objectives within established timelines and work schedules.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop effective solutions at both strategic and functional levels.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with company values.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player: accomplishes tasks by working with others and being a good team player. Recognizes how his/her decisions may impact others; seeks input from others.
- Computer proficiency in operating a personal computer and standard business office applications including Microsoft Office suite, databases, and other related applications.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal direction as a highly motivated self-starter.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Expertise in production cost modeling and power systems analysis using computers and computer programs for power systems simulation.
- General knowledge of government regulations affecting electric utilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and written.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships.
The Senior Engineer requires a minimum of eight (8) years of progressive experience in electric utility planning, operations or other directly related experience. Those with less experience will be hired at either the Engineer I, II, or III level, as appropriate.
- Must be able to demonstrate that he/she can perform all of the essential functions of the position.
- Willingness to travel when needed to attend training, conferences and meetings. (Must have a valid driver's license).
DESIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Project management experience including planning, scheduling and monitoring activities, desired.
- Energy industry experience preferred.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is primarily required to sit, stand, walk, stoop, and bend. Specific vision abilities include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to read, write, analyze data and reports, exercise judgment, develop plans, procedures and goals, present information to others and work under pressure.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is exposed to moderate level of noise. Majority of duties are performed indoors primarily at a desk.
All employees interested in this position may apply online at the Tri-State Intranet site.
Click on Job Postings, then click on the iRecruitment link, Log In, then click on the iRecruitment Employee Candidate link and then click on Search for jobs.
Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association is a wholesale electric power supplier owned by the 43 electric cooperatives that it serves. Tri-State generates and transmits electricity to its member systems throughout a 200,000 square-mile service territory across Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico and Wyoming.
Serving approximately 1.5 million consumers, Tri-State was founded in 1952 by its member systems to provide a reliable, cost-based supply of electricity. Headquartered in Westminster, Colo., abut 1,500 people are employed by Tri-State throughout its four-state service area.
Tri-State's power is generated through a combination of owned baseload and peaking power plants that use coal and natural gas as their primary fuels, supplemented by purchased power, federal hydroelectricity allocations and renewable resource technologies. Tri-State delivers power to its members through a transmission system that includes substation facilities, telecommunications sites and over 5000 miles of high voltage transmission lines.
Interested? Here is how to Apply:
Go to www.tristategt.org/ and click on the 'Careers' Link. Search for Job and click 'Apply Now' Icon. You will be required to register in order to apply.
Tri-State: Join the people behind the power. Tri-State recognizes the value of a highly-engaged and committed workforce and provides an excellent benefits program that includes medical, dental, retirement and life insurance. Please visit our careers site at www.tristategt.org/careers/for more details.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran