Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and one of the world's largest design firms with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Intermodal Group as an Engineer of Record. Candidate will sit in the Riverdale office.
Under general direction, provides technical expertise within area of specialization for diverse engineering activities throughout the assigned area of responsibility and/or company-wide. May function as lead designer or technical consultant. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Defines scope of project, with full responsibility for interpreting, organizing and executing project assignments.
- Selects problems for investigation, developing novel approaches and solutions to technical problems.
- Conducts quality control checks, reviewing calculations, designs, evaluations and specifications developed by design staff for accuracy and completeness, performing on-site inspections and reviews, and conducting or overseeing remedial design work.
- Keeps abreast of state-of-the-art methods and developments in area of specialization.
- Recommends changes or improvements to plans and programs.
- May function as the project manager for routine to semi-complex projects. Responsibilities may include marketing, negotiating contracts, budgeting, financial management, schedule coordination and resources allocation.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
B.S. or M.S. in Engineering. M.S. or graduate level technical coursework preferred. This level may be achieved by Engineers with ten years experience since B.S. or nine years since M.S. Typical incumbent has 15 to 20 years of experience with transit, rail or high design-build projects with a capital construction cost of no less than $250 million. The Engineer of Record shall have 15 years of relevant design experience. The candidate may also serve the role as Design Manager.
Strong technical writing and communications skills are expected at this level, proven through technical presentations, technical papers and/or participation in technical committees.
P.E. license is required in Maryland.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement.