Overview of the position:
In this newly created role, we are seeking an Equipment Manager who will be responsible for driving a strategic management plan around approximately 500 pieces of company equipment valued at $35M, including the functional areas of asset procurement, disposal, management, and maintenance, as well as will aid in establishing policy and procedures and reporting. The direct focus will be on the cost of ownership within a yearly budget and total cost of ownership for the life of the equipment. The Manager will be the primary equipment contact for support and leadership for all operations. This role is cross-functional and requires a high level of collaboration and influence across multiple departments and stakeholders. This position requires strong technical abilities, performance management skills, financial understanding, and industry knowledge. The Equipment Manager, reporting to the Director of Procurement and Equipment, will lead by example by demonstrating the core competencies required for the position.
- Primary owner for ensuring that total cost of ownership is competitive or lower than industry standard which, in turn, provides the organization a competitive advantage in our markets
- Manage annual capital expenditure (CAPEX) justifications for new equipment purchases, including scheduling of purchases to maximize utilization.
- Owner of buy/lease/rent analysis when new or replacement equipment is being considered
- Managing correct fleet levels for identified and forecasted company needs
- Oversite on rentals and or leases in the respective areas
- Manage a strategic disposal plan for end-of-life or underutilized equipment.
- Measure and report on the overall effectiveness of the department, its equipment goals, objectives, cost and action items on a monthly basis.
- Keep current with equipment manufacturers to stay abreast of new technology that would be beneficial to the company
- Build partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Manage equipment procurement
- Manage disposal of non-utilized or retired equipment
- Control costs and manage established budgets and key targets.
Managing outside repairs
- Oversee supplier warranty claims submission and payment
- Monitor and develop company policies for equipment use
- Implement objectives and strategies to maintain an effective equipment program
- Manage existing, and develop new, vendor relationships.
- Work closely with EHS to maintain all environmental compliance programs
- Participation in the driving of a safe culture
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction, Engineering, or related field OR minimum of 10 years’ experience in the heavy construction equipment management field
- Experienced in managing a large diverse fleet of 500 plus pieces of equipment with a significant value (greater than $25M).
- Must possess practical knowledge of the function, operation, financial modeling and decision making and the maintenance and upkeep of construction equipment
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Negotiation experience
- Ability to draw participation from subject matter experts on the team
- Exceptionally organized, meticulous, and detail oriented with a high level of accuracy
- Proven ability to thrive in fast-paced, dynamic environments
- High sense of urgency and deadline driven
- Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Lead by example with a positive can-do attitude.
- Skilled in adapting to requirements of numerous, constantly changing demands
- Self-starter with excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to deal at all functional levels.
- The ability to analyze and independently solve a variety of difficult situations and problems
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Must be a team player
- Able to travel 10% to 20% away from home as needed
- Comply, understand, and support project safety initiatives to ensure a safe work environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may work in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to vibration and loud noise. Appropriate PPE will be required to be used as needed.
Valid driver’s license and ability to drive for extended periods of time
Clark Pacific is an Equal Opportunity Employer