Job ID: 137914
Conrad Yelvington Distributors, Inc. supplies and distributes aggregate materials such as granite, river gravel, limestone, natural sand, and more. This rail served aggregate distribution network covers Florida, Southern Mississippi, South Carolina, and Alabama.
After successfully completing the job and equipment review / training and safety program, the Equipment Operator (hereafter referred to as EO) will be prepared to move, load and handle materials in the terminal area with the use of heavy equipment. The EO will use large earth-moving machines, such as bulldozers, backhoes, excavators and front-end loaders and/or other huge machinery to lift, haul, push, roll, load and move aggregate and aggregate related materials.
Communication between the EO, dispatcher and yard foreman/manager is crucial, so job briefings will be held throughout each day to insure safety and efficiency. The EO must also have a good understanding of the terminal layout in order to assess the work that needs to be done and operate quickly, safely and efficiently.
The most important duty of the EO is to run the huge, expensive machines safely and capably. Before each workday, the EO makes sure the machinery is well lubricated and tires, belts, pumps, hoses and cables are in good condition.
While operating the machine, the EO must always watch out for the people and other equipment nearby. During the daily routine of the EO, difficult maneuvers are often performed in tricky situations, such as grading on steep embankments or operating around other large equipment (large trucks, locomotives, railcars, etc.). In addition, the EO must always be aware of pedestrians and other workers in the terminal area. For these reasons, the EO must be cool and collected in situations that might rattle other people
Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key Accountabilities:
- Operate backhoes, bulldozers, loaders and/or other heavy equipment to excavate, move, load and grade earth, rock, gravel or other materials.
- Operate heavy equipment to move, load and unload materials into/out of railcars and/or other modes of transportation.
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment and clean, lubricate and refill equipment.
- Assist Yard Manager and/or Yard Foreman in coordinating materials handling and equipment usage.
- Be able to perform the following specific tasks:
- Operate general construction equipment at the terminal when given training.
- Required to lift 50 pounds.
- Complete miscellaneous jobs according to instructions given.
- Knowledge of the use and capabilities of heavy equipment and machinery used in maintenance and construction tasks.
- Knowledge of both traffic and safety rules.
- Knowledge of the practices and techniques applied to the safe operation of heavy equipment.
- Ability to keep records and make oral or written reports.
- Ability to make simple arithmetic computations.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to climb, bend, stoop, and squat frequently.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public.
- Ability to work long hours out-of-doors, occasionally under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to communicate effectively using speaking, hearing, writing, and vision skills.
- Ability to operate heavy and complex equipment requiring skill and the exercise of independent judgment.
- Need to insure that equipment is operating in a safe and sound manner and capacity to keep records pertaining to such operations.
- Ability to perform manual labor incidental to the assigned task.
- Desire to perform related work as required.
- Education: Completion of 8th grade, graduation from high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma preferred.
- Experience: Three years of experience in public works maintenance and/or construction work, one year of which involves the operation of a variety of heavy equipment. A comparable amount of directly related experience may be substituted for the minimum educational requirements.
- Technical Expertise: To perform the job effectively the LO must be familiar with the duties of the worker being assisted as well as with the materials, tools, and machinery used by that worker.
- The EO must maintain a safe driving record and have a valid driver’s license.
- Personal traits: Must be reliable, hard working and able to work in a team environment.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle Materials South Division is a part of Oldcastle Materials, Inc., the third-largest aggregates and ready mixed concrete producer, and the number one asphalt producer in the United States. The South Division consists of three regions: Appalachian Materials, Midsouth Materials & Preferred Materials. Companies operate in the states of Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia, with limited operations in Georgia and South Carolina.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
Oldcastle Materials, Southeast Division is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Oldcastle Materials, Southeast Divisions is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.