Requisition ID: 22044
Job Function: Engineering (40000045)
We are seeking qualified candidates for a Fabrication or Controls Engineer People Leader opening to join our Central Manufacturing Engineering Group (CME).
This role can be located in Findlay OH, Greenville OH, Tulsa OK or Cleveland TN dependent on successful candidate location.
Day to Day (what a typical day or week looks like in this role):
Whirlpool is looking for an experienced Fabrication or Controls Engineer people leader with a strong background in design, build and qualification of manufacturing processes. This role will operate as a technical individual contributor as well as leading a group of technical resources (4-6 direct reports). As part of the Central Manufacturing Engineering Group, the successful candidate will work closely with NAR Cooking, Dishwasher, and Small Appliance manufacturing locations, E&T, Advanced Manufacturing and our new product organization to define, coordinate and manage the acquisition of the necessary capital equipment to successfully manufacture and deliver winning new products to the marketplace. This will cover coveted brands such as Whirlpool, Amana, Estate, KitchenAid, and Maytag.
The successful candidate will be at the forefront of developing new products by providing manufacturing early design consultation services, while determining the anticipated impact to the existing manufacturing footprint, including establishing the early capital budget estimates.
The Fabrication or Controls Engineer will be accountable to acquire and manage the associated capital equipment for new products from conception through to formal production handoff at the selected manufacturing location of choice.
As the CME Fabrication Engineer, you will be accountable for supporting new product integration by providing manufacturing expertise to each of the key functions.
- Working closely with primary North American manufacturing location to define capital purchases.
- Specifying through implementation and handoff of new equipment to manufacturing operations.
- Improving speed in which we deliver winning products to the marketplace.
- Ensuring that new manufacturing processes are flexible in design to accommodate long-range new product cadence plans with the intent of minimizing future capital requirements.
- Working closely with the Advanced Manufacturing Group to ensure that new processes are in compliance with the established Global Bill of Processes.
- Leading projects and special assignments as required.
- Lead a small group of engineers local and remote
- Set team goals and objectives as well as lead performance reviews and coaching performance
- Work with team on professional development and succession planning
You must be willing to travel to tool or equipment design reviews and runoffs at the vendors. There will be occasional travel to support project scoping activities and workshops. You may be required to travel for in-house equipment trials, with possible travel to U.S. as well as Mexican manufacturing locations. You must be willing to step outside of the base category to support other new product development activities for other categories and plants if required.
- Bachelor's degree
- 4+ years of manufacturing experience
- Degree concentration in Engineering
- Excellent Operations process development and implementation experience
- Strong understanding of Lean Manufacturing concepts.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent project management skills
- Experience leading/mentoring remote teams
- In-depth knowledge of laundry appliance fabrication, tooling and related manufacturing processes such as complex fabrication lines/cells that contain forming, piercing, bending, welding, robotics, etc.
- Ability to translate component GD&T into equipment designs so that critical interfaces are assured.
- Experience in new product introductions, including the direct planning and acquisition of the associated capital equipment.
- Hands on experience working in a heavily automated production environment is desired.
- Must have a demonstrated history of gathering input from key stakeholders and gaining their buy-in.
- Must have a demonstrated history of success working in a matrix managed environment.
- Must have demonstrated success in translating technical concepts to commonly used business language.
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the world's leading major home appliance company, with approximately $21 billion in annual sales, 92,000 employees and 70 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2017. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world.
At Whirlpool Corporation, we believe that all people matter. Celebrating diversity and including thousands of perspectives empower us to create products that blend into every concept of home. Whirlpool Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Additional information about the company can be found on Twitter at @WhirlpoolCorp.
Nearest Major Market: Chattanooga
Job Segment: Controls Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Fabrication, Engineer, Welding, Engineering, Manufacturing