Banneker Ventures is an SBA-certified 8(a) SDB and HUBZone small business with annual revenues exceeding $25MM. We have offices in—Maryland and Washington, DC—and specialize in providing value-add construction and facilities management services to federal and local government clients. Our construction expertise incorporates – general contracting, design-build and construction management.
The Facilities/Construction Engineer reports to the assigned Contract/Project Manager under the facilities or construction division in this hybrid role. They are responsible for creating safe, secure and functional work environments for our government and private clients through adhering to an operations and maintenance (O&M) plan for buildings and vertical transportation as outlined in the contract documents. He or she performs oversight of janitorial, landscaping/grounds maintenance and other specialized services. This role also requires project management experience gained by working on a variety of interior, exterior and civil construction projects for a general contractor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities performed for Facilities OR GC:
Management of Contracted Services (Facilities):
· Work under close guidance and supervision of a Project Executive to help manage and coordinate the activities of our facilities projects.
· Participate in project planning and developing scopes of work to include estimates for construction projects within our Facilities Division.
· Manages the implementation of assignments, monitors cost schedules and quality assurance as they relate to all contracted activities.
· Develop schedules for construction projects using software (MS Project or P6), prepare AIA billings for submission to the Accounting department, distribute reports using email and order supplies as needed to maintain adequate performance as contractually obligated.
· At times may provide onsite management by acting as an Assistant Superintendent.
· Advise Project Executive regarding the status of projects and work orders.
Management of Team Members (Facilities):
· Oversees (and, at times, lead) the process of work assigned to sub-contractors.
· Performs quality assurance on work in place to ensure work orders and preventative maintenance inspections are completed.
· Complies with company guidelines for submitting invoices for payment to the Accounting department.
· Ensures Banneker team members complete and properly file reports to meet contract requirements. Adhere to reporting guidelines as specified in the contract documents.
· Manages time off requests for facilities staff, and time card reporting where required. Ensures proper coverage at job sites at all times.
Management of the Customer (Facilities):
· Manage customer expectations and mitigate risks by reading and understanding the contract documents.
· Utilize the customer’s database where required (i.e., CMMS systems) for tracking data and information. Ensure Banneker personnel adherence to these guidelines.
Project Management Support (GC):
· Understands and follows practices to acquire and maintain compliance with contract terms and legal requirements to prevent rework and delays.
· Reads, interprets and analyzes contract scopes of work, drawings and specifications.
· Proficient with MS Project, P6 and ProCore software to create and/or update existing project schedules with respect to long-lead items and critical paths. Performs updates to project schedules under the guidance of the Project Manager.
Process Flow/Document Handling (GC):
· Drafts request for information (RFIs) to submit to clients.
· Manages construction and other submittals from sub-contractors, review submittals for conformance to contract documents, and submit to clients.
· Manages submittal logs.
· Develops O&M Manuals, and coordinate as-builts and warranties with sub-contractors.
· Uses online sharing tools to track progress or changes regarding RFIs, shop drawings, quality control, safety, financial forecasts and close-out requirements.
· Attends and document site visits and status meetings. Maintains meeting minutes, emails and other project correspondence. Prepares and submit timely weekly reports and status updates. Captures and uploads weekly project photos.
· Respects deadlines and proactively communicates potential delays while working a plan to mitigate issues.
Management of Customers and Subcontractors (GC):
· Understands the sub-contractors scopes and contracts. Proactively identifies opportunities and risks. Points out possible punch list concerns and reduces re-work items.
· Performs Client Management - gladly provides approved response to requests and inquiries; facilitates a pleasant professional relationship that lays the ground work for additional projects/task orders.
Additional Performance Factors:
· Maintains professional and technical knowledge by identifying and participating in training programs.
· Adheres to corporate policies/standards and guidelines as established in cross-functional areas. Responds to requests and submits timesheets, forms and documents in a timely manner.
· Prompt arrival to work, meetings and activities as related to job functions. Deliverables are sent by the deadline and a reasonable response given to each inquiry.
· Participates in company structured mentoring program. Provides training (where required), job shadowing and mentoring to project engineers and assistant project managers.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· B.S. degree in a related field, preferably in engineering, architecture or construction management.
· Must have a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a project engineer or project manager role and one (1) year of experience with direct facilities knowledge performing project planning, resource scheduling, cost monitoring, task assignment and timeline management.
· OSHA 30, CPR/First Aid and QCM certifications desired, but not required.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Proficient in MS Office products for documents and spreadsheets.
· Proficient in project management and scheduling software (ProCore, MS Project, Primavera 6, etc.).
· Must be self-motivated & punctual. Must be professional and polished in appearance and speech.
· Must be able to manage multiple tasks and have excellent follow up skills both internally and externally.