FIBER OPTIC ENGINEER - CONTRACT - RALEIGH, NC
Fiber Optic Engineer Responsibilities:
* Monitor IT fiber network infrastructure alerts and events.
* In collaboration with the NOC personnel establish and configure and maintain network elements for monitoring that adhere to industry best practices and methodologies for monitoring and alerting.
* Ensure all network equipment configuration is managed in a secure and efficient manner.
* Use knowledge of Layer-1 through layer-7 networking technologies to provide end-users with reliable IT solutions.
* Manage network services, workloads and schedules of vendors and suppliers, and foremost the OLA's and SLA's governing IT solutions.
* Plan and participate in the life-cycle management of the fiber networking gear, and in the continuous equipment replacement cycle activities.
* Manage inventory of all networking equipment and implement new fiber network infrastructure for new site implementations and site refreshes.
* Create and maintain network diagrams and documentation using versioning methodologies to ensure accurate and up to date records of deployed solutions, as well as maintain existing documentation.
* Participate in the network team service desk queue, and efficiently identify and remediate any incidents and problems escalated.
* Manage vendors, suppliers, service providers, and stakeholders during the remediation activities.
* Work with other departments and/or 3rd party resources to build and repair the enterprise fiber network.
* React to alerts, incidents, problems, and requests escalated to the network team.
* Use industry standard troubleshooting tools/equipment/techniques (pocket-capture and analysis, protocol analyzers and analysis, logging servers and alerting platforms), as well as, experience and imagination in correlation of events to accelerate remediation of impaired IT services.
* Identify bugs and deficiencies in networking hardware or software, come up with remediation plan(s), and successfully implement remedies to identified network anomalies.
* Share understanding of remediation procedures and techniques with teammates (both formally and informally) to preserve knowledge.
* Assist with the management and implementation of network infrastructure related projects, including: commissioning of newly constructed facilities, networking hardware and software lease refreshments, upgrades, change requests and incident management, and alike.
* Work with project teams across the IT Department and throughout the city to implement network connectivity solutions.
* Participate in site surveys and assessments for IT outfitting and rite-sizing of gear to match end-user's requirements.
* Plan new site implementations where city fiber is needed.
* Travel to various locations around Raleigh, to ensure equipment is working optimally.
Fiber Optic Engineer Requirements:
* Strong client-service orientation and focus
* Expert in management of Layer-1 and Layer-2 fiber optic networking and troubleshooting/tuning techniques of related protocols.
* Strong knowledge of routing protocols including OSPF, EIGRP, and BGP,
* Experience with IP traffic redistribution, route filtering, load-balancing, and VRF
* Strong understanding of VLANs, Subnetting, and IP Provisioning
* Hands on experience with Cisco operating systems
* Experience with MPLS is highly preferred
You will be working with a professional recruiter who has intimate knowledge of the Information Technology industry and market trends . Your Hays recruiter will lead you through a thorough screening process in order to understand your skills, experience, needs, and drivers. You will also get support on resume writing, interview tips, and career planning, so when there's a position you really want, you're fully prepared to get it. Additionally, if the position is a consulting role, Hays offers you the opportunity to enroll in full medical, dental or vision benefits.
* Life Insurance ($20,000 benefit)
* ATOP - Accrued time off program
* Consultant lunches and outings
* Care packages/Survival packs
* Dedicated Consulting Services Representative
Nervous about an upcoming interview? Unsure how to write a new resume?
Visit the Hays Career Advice section to learn top tips to help you stand out from the crowd when job hunting.
Hays is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Drug testing may be required; please contact a recruiter for more information.