Financial Systems Analyst
- Job Label:
- SHMSTL Fin Systems
Shearman & Sterling LLP is an established and growing international firm, and Financial Systems Analyst role based in the Melville New York office, will allow you the opportunity to work as part of a global team that places the highest value on excellence and integrity. In this role you will use tactical and strategic experience and skills in financial systems to work on projects, help maintain and troubleshoot/problem solve Shearman & Sterling’s financial systems in our global organization. You will work across time zones to manage and support global integration and implementation projects. We will rely on your ability to troubleshoot and resolve issues, help support multiple financial systems and be willing to roll up your sleeves and handle day to day system queries. If you are excited about being a part of a team and help support Shearman & Sterling’s financial systems and want to join a diverse, international organization then you should apply today.
The Financial Systems Analyst will assist with the design, implementation, customization and maintenance of the firm’s primary financial system (Elite), which includes the general ledger, accounts payable and billing and collection functions. The Analyst will also have similar responsibilities for the firm’s travel and entertainment (T&E) expense reimbursement system (Chrome River), time entry system (InTapp), and other auxiliary systems to the worldwide financial system.
- Maintain and support the primary financial system (Elite), including configuration, user access, and security.
- Troubleshoot and resolve user issues
- Respond to requests for new and modified functionality and making recommendations on potential solutions. This requires an understanding of the impact such changes on other integrated systems, ability to proactively identify possible issues and troubleshooting issues and providing solutions.
- Troubleshoot system bugs and test fixes prior to implementation ensuring issues are uncovered and resolved in a timely manner and before changes are introduced in production to end users, while minimizing use of outside consultants.
- Act as the lead tester of financial systems upgrades, enhancements, and other projects.
- Coordinate the firm wide participation in the testing of upgrades as well as new versions of financial systems software and associated hardware, and follow up on items identified during such testing.
- Coordinate firm wide month-end and year-end financial system close process (the “Close Process”). This includes drafting firm wide notification e-mails, closing the current accounting period, opening the accounting new period, contacting Elite Support if system issues occur during the Close Process, assisting users with issues that occur during the Close Process, assisting in the review of month-end reconciliations and making sure that all out-of-balance conditions are quickly identified.
- Understand and monitor interfaces to and from Elite; alert others to potential disruption of proposed changes and help identify practical solutions that will not be disruptive when changes are needed.
- Assist with requests from internal and external auditors by generating reports and/or requesting reports from others.
- Coordinate the monthly upload of data for Peer Monitor.
- Coordinate the annual user access system review.
- Obtain project status updates from Project Managers to be included in bi-weekly Elite project status meetings.
- Work on special projects as defined and requested by management.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Ability to assist with multiple projects at one time and meet deadlines; and troubleshoot day-to-day system inquiries and issues.
- Strong understanding of how financial systems interface with various auxiliary systems and modules.
- Knowledge of financial systems in a service environment, primarily accounting and billing software (Elite Enterprise or Elite 3E or Aderant preferred, but also interested in Oracle, SAP and other multicurrency Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems), time entry systems (Intapp Time preferred, but not required), expense reimbursement systems (Chrome River preferred but not required; also interested in Concur), cost load and personal expense systems (nQueue Billback preferred but not required) and SQL.
- Ability to identify, troubleshoot, and resolve issues within the financial systems.
- Ability to comprehend complex processes as they flow through the financial systems.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Hands-on experience in implementation of a financial system.
- Strong ability to build and maintain trusted relationships, and effectively collaborate at all levels and across disciplines throughout the firm.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including ability to convey complex technical information to lay audience.
- Proactive self-starter with strong conceptual thinking skills
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Computer Science, Economics or Finance
- 1-5 or more years of experience working with financial systems such as Elite, Aderant, SAP, Oracle and other ERPs as well as time entry/reporting systems and expense reimbursement systems.
Physical Activity/Other Miscellaneous
- Ability to work outside standard business hours to accommodate meetings, calls, and project work with internal clients as well as with people outside of the local time zone.
Shearman & Sterling has been advising many of the world's leading corporations and financial institutions, governments and governmental organizations for more than 140 years. We are committed to providing legal advice that is insightful and valuable to our clients. This has resulted in groundbreaking transactions in all major regions of the world including Asia, The Middle East, Europe, Latin America, and North America. Together, our lawyers work across practices and jurisdictions to provide the highest quality legal services, bringing their collective experience to bear on the issues that clients face. For example, underpinning the quality of our work firm-wide are our shared values. We take pride in the successes of our clients and in our contributions to them.
- Related Keywords:
- Financial Systems, project management, integrations, implementation, Elite, accounting and billing software, time entry systems, DTE Axiom, Intapp Time, expense reimbursement system, Chrome River, expense systems, nqBillback, NMI, Wallbuilder, Marketing systems, Cost Interfaces, Security Administration, month end close, Aderant, SAP, Oracle, Excel