This position serves to oversee the evaluation, oversight and auditing of key Texas co-packers and Latin American suppliers with emphasis on Mexico. The position requires background and experience in food safety, auditing and problem solving and will operate from a home office in a location that provides access to McAllen, TX, Houston, TX, to Mexico and to an international airport.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Visits and inspects/audits suppliers according to Wyman’s requirements.
- Manages and coordinates the quality aspects of production at co-packers to ensure compliance with Wyman’s product, kosher, HACCP and food safety standards
- Reviews and approves supplier and co-packer documentation.
- Obtains, evaluates, organizes and presents information such as business situations, production capabilities, manufacturing problems, economic trends.
- Inspects containerized food ingredients in cold storages near the port of Houston as directed.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the food industry in a quality-related position with regular production floor familiarity and interaction with frozen foods experience preferred.
- Minimum two years of experience auditing in processing facilities for food safety
- On-going understanding of and experience with key US regulations affecting food safety
- B.S. in Food Science, Biology or Chemistry
- Certified as an internal and GFSI Auditor and in HACCP
- Must be able to work and problem-solve independently and with multiple disciplines
- Proficient in written and spoken Spanish with fluency preferred- other languages a plus
- Must be able to travel internationally and drive with no restrictions
SKILLS / ABILITIES
- Proficient in business report writing
- Excellent computer skills (Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint)
- Ability to plan and execute travel in a time-efficient manner
- Proficient in tele-commuting and video-conferencing
- GFSI Auditor Certificate
- HACCP Certificate
- FSPCA training PCQI Certificate
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally without restrictions of any kind
- Must be able to move freely in food production environments including wet areas, freezers, mezzanines, ladders and semi-confined spaces
This position requires significant domestic and overseas travel and oversight of and communication with multiple facilities. It primarily requires excellent connectivity for communications and will be accomplished from a home office. It requires a disciplined, well-organized and self-controlled office environment.
Requires tele and in-person interactions with:
- Other department heads
- Customers and consumers
- Suppliers and co-packers
- Online help desks
- Industry associations (WBANA- Wild Blueberry Association of North America, AFFI-American Frozen Foods Institute, etc.)
SCHEDULE AND HOURS
The demands of this position include interaction with suppliers and partners in multiple time zones and a flexible approach to time management.
Periodic travel to key Wyman’s facilities in Maine USA and on PEI Canada is required with scheduling according to the needs of the management and facilities.