The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst III Supervisor’s role is to coordinate, implement, and manage the organization’s strategies and initiatives (including Internet-based) for GIS operations supporting E9-1-1 and NG9-1-1 projects. This individual is responsible for ensuring the development and maintenance of applications based upon the convergence of tabular referenced data; spatially referenced data; and digital mapping data for 9-1-1 applications. The GIS Analyst III Supervisor’s will also preserve the integrity and design of geographic information databases, as well as manage and direct a team of GIS professionals whose purpose is to support GIS functions of the projects. This includes the synchronization of various databases including tabular databases with spatially referenced data; and digital mapping datasupporting E9-1-1/NG9-1-1 dispatch GIS operations. This also includes providing product and deliverables supporting 9-1-1 Computer Aided Dispatching (CAD) mapping, and GIS mapping applications and operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: (Not listed in order of importance; other duties may be assigned)
- Oversees all 9-1-1 GIS activities throughout the United States, including the design, structure, and adherence to standards and data requirements, while continuing a distinguished level of accuracy in GIS products.
- Provides project management direction, process improvements, expertise in proposal writing, technical support for all GIS systems, and training to clients and employees.
- Implements forward thinking GIS designs and workflows geared toward Next Generation 9-1-1 technology.
Strategy & Planning
- Lead, coordinate, and manage all aspects of GIS implementations, operations, and maintenance of the GIS efforts of the E9-1-1 projects.
- Participate in design of new GIS analysis methodologies, applications, and strategies.
- Establish and implement policies, procedures, and technologies (including firewalls) to ensure GIS security.
- Assist the Program/Project manager with defining IT/GIS project requirements
Acquisition & Deployment
- When necessary, coordinate and administer the acquisition of satellite imagery; conduct analysis of digital imagery.
- Assist the client with the implementation and deployment of oblique photo imagery and the maintenance of that imagery.
- Conduct research on GIS-related hardware and software in support of procurement and system development efforts.
- Design sophisticated raster, and vector-based GIS products capable of working in Computer Aided Dispatching (CAD) systems in the Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs), or 9-1-1 Centers, utilized to validate addresses and locations of 9-1-1 callers.
- Design sophisticated raster, and vector-based GIS products capable of working in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) systems in the Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs), or 9-1-1 Centers, utilized to search and locate 9-1-1 callers in order to find a validated address.
- Design sophisticated raster, and vector-based GIS products capable of working in both Computer Aided Dispatching (CAD) systems, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) systems in the Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs), or 9-1-1 Centers that support the PSAPs 9-1-1 mission. This would include such systems as CAD, 9-1-1 mapping, and the AVL systems.
- Must be able to perform analysis and classificationsof GIS products by performing QA/QC of GIS products to ensure compatibility of working in PSAP GIS systems.
- Maintain and augment remote sensing, tabular, and relational databases when necessary.
- Coordinate and conduct GIS training sessions for GIS staff and end users with client-facing application needs.
- Develop and maintain GIS training manuals and GIS training materials to support GIS Staff and end user with client applications training requirements. Training materials includes a proposed training schedule for GIS staff supporting the projects.
- Provide advanced GIS guidance and spatial analysis support to the enterprise; act as single point of contact for GIS-related issues.
- Lead transitions of GIS applications to next-generation environments and/or cross-functional systems.
- Oversee development of the organization’s Public Safety database; collaborate with database administrators to achieve this end.
- Coordinate with network engineering personnel to ensure availability, reliability, and scalability of GIS applications to meet business demands.
- Troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software problems.
- Perform data audits and quality control measures. Perform Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) of all GIS products and tabular database information for completeness and accuracy with regards to project deliverables.
- Recommend and execute modifications to GIS software in order to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance.
- Develop and maintain GIS manuals and systems documentation.
- Manage and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team. Ensure GIS members assigned to this task are technically proficient in order to fulfill their work assignments and meet project assigned deliverables.
- Design and manage the SDE Enterprise geodatabase and develop data maintenance plans, including organization of geographic features, identifying data sources and attributes.
- Monitor, review, and provide a monthly status on each project progress via a formal written report.
- Serve as liaison with customers; adjust GIS professional’s project work schedules and plans as necessary to meet the needs of the project.
- Identify and resolve issues, and obtain user acceptance of completed products/services.
- Coordinate meetings with appropriate Government agencies to establish procedures regarding the on-going maintenance and updates of the GIS information utilized in 9-1-1 GIS layers (parcels, centerlines, address points, common names, response layers, etc.).
- Provide technical support for all 9-1-1 mapping applications utilized in support of Public Safety and 9-1-1 operations and to assist the client in contacting application vendors to resolve technical problems as necessary.
- Research, provide recommendations, assist in the procurement, and implement new GIS software packages supporting the projects.
- Maintain all ESRI product licenses, and ensure licenses are kept up-to-date in our license manager application of the GIS server.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Should be able to successfully pass a police records check as most of our contracts deal with the spatial accuracy for all Police Departments. This position should also be able to successfully pass all qualification necessary to obtain a Security Clearance at a minimum Secret level.
Education and/or Experience:
- College diploma or university degree in the field of geography or computer science
- Ten (10) years work experience in the GIS field
- Equivalent combination of knowledge and specialized experience may be acceptable in lieu of a degree if the applicant has sufficient time working with GIS products for the 9-1-1 Industry supporting Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD), and 9-1-1 mapping systems.
- Government contracts may require person to possess proof of U.S. citizenship.
- Conversant in the basic principles of two or more of the following: Planning, Economic Development, Engineering, Asset Inventory, Government Structures, Surveying, Geophysics, Topography.
- Advanced knowledge of GIS software and strong familiarity with relational database design as it applies to GIS software.
- Strong familiarity with ArcGIS, ArcInfo, ArcEditor, ArcIMS, ArcSDE, ArcPro, and ArcView software products.
- In-depth knowledge of general mapping principles, demographics analysis, spatial analysis, remote sensing, and cartography.
- Experience installing, configuring, and maintaining GIS systems, to include at the network level. This position will also maintain the Akimeka GIS network currently located in Reston Virginia, and several networks located in Kihei Maui that support the 9-1-1 program.
- Proven experience in data modeling.
- Familiarity with graphic editing software and Web development tools.
- Good technical knowledge of current network operating systems and client-server implementations.
- Superior project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to train team members and end users on GIS data and applications.
- Ability to conduct research into GIS issues and products as required.
- Two years relative experience with GPS devices or applications and their usage.
- Supervision of up to five (5) GIS professionals. Provide input to the Program/Project Manager with regards to GIS personnel performance assigned to the project to support employee evaluations, or to perform such evaluations.
- Provide training and guidance to the GIS professionals with regards to keeping their skills current and professional to maintain the 9-1-1 GIS quality grade products and deliverables.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: Employee will occasionally need to lift, move, or transport moderately heavy objects/equipment weighing up to 40 pounds. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other computer components. Hearing and speaking to exchange information. Seeing to view computer monitor. Sitting for extended periods of time.
Akimeka is proud to be an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability employer.