General Cardiology Opportunity with Faculty Appointment
Come Care for our Veterans - Great Patients - Great Benefits
Oklahoma City VA Medical Center
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
You are invited to join the Cardiology team at the Oklahoma City VA Medical center where you will reap the rewards that come with caring for our veterans.
As a member of the team, you will enjoy a regular work week while attending in our out-patient clinics and in-patient services, reading echocardiograms (and performing TEEs), interpreting nuclear studies and stress tests, managing venous and arterial disease, interpreting peripheral vascular ultrasounds and other peripheral arterial physiologic studies. You will participate in the education and supervision of trainees. You may be involved in research activities within the section, and therefore a research background is desirable. You must qualify for a faculty appointment at the Assistant Professor (or higher) level at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. Call is shared with the University Cardiology staff, providing for a larger call pool and less frequent call. An unrestricted U.S. medical license (any state) with no history of suspension or revocation is required as well as Board Certification/Eligibility.
The Oklahoma City VA Health Care System (VAHCS) consists of a 192-operating bed facility serving 48 Oklahoma counties and two counties in north central Texas (Wilbarger and Wichita). The enrolled veteran population is over 81,000 and the Oklahoma City VAHCS is the parent facility for outpatient clinics in Ada, Altus, Ardmore, Blackwell, Enid, Lawton, Oklahoma City, Stillwater, and Wichita Falls.
The Oklahoma City VAHCS is a tertiary care facility, classified as a VA complexity level rating of 1a. It is a teaching hospital, providing a full range of patient care services, with state-of-the-art technology as well as education and research. There are Medical residencies and General/Interventional/EP Cardiology fellowships here that are part of joint programs with the University of Oklahoma. Comprehensive health care is provided through primary care, tertiary care, and long-term care in areas of medicine, surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, neurology, oncology, dentistry, geriatrics, and extended care and, it has specialized programs including Mental Health Intensive Case Management (MHICM), Reaching Out to Educate and Assist Health Care Families (REACH), Compensated Work Therapy, Center for Alzheimer and Neurodegenerative Diseases (CANDO), and Animal Assisted Therapy.
Oklahoma City, with a population of more than 500,000 people, has reinvented itself with ongoing revitalization projects (such as the Bricktown entertainment district) that have transformed it into the state's most vibrant and exciting destination. Despite its push to modernize, its frontier heritage remains evident in attractions such as the must-see National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum and the Oklahoma History Center, and annual events such as Red Earth, the largest Native American festival in the world.
The 46th state in the Union has much beauty to behold, with 200 man-made lakes, four stunning mountain ranges (Ouachitas, Arbuckles, Wichitas, and Ozarks), nearly a quarter of the state covered in forest, and an average temperature of 60F. However, if pop culture is more your style than nature hikes, there are also more diner-laden drivable miles of Route 66 here than any other state (over 320 of 'em). Like Rodgers and Hammerstein's love song to the state says, Oklahoma's definitely OK!
If youre interested in learning more about this position, email a full CV to Dave Aragon, National Recruitment Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your inquiry will be handled confidentially.
Whether you're interested in academics, research, or a better work/life balance, you'll find the VA has a lot to offer, including the unmatched satisfaction you'll get from caring for those who have served our country. In addition to competitive pay and liability protection, the VA also offers a robust benefits plan that includes:
Paid Time Off:
- 26 days paid annual (vacation/personal) leave - you can carry over up to 86 days into a new year
- 13 days paid sick leave per year with unlimited carry over! Unused sick leave can be used to extend creditable service time at retirement!
- 10 Paid federal holidays with pay
- Possible 5 Days paid Authorized Absence to attend CME
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government.
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits; 2) FERS-FRAE basic benefits (pension); and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- How is the pension funded? VA employees hired after January 1, 2014 automatically contribute 4.4% of their salary each pay period and the VA contributes 8.3% of the employee's salary each pay period for a total annual contribution percentage equal to 12.7% of the employee's salary
- Similar to the 401(k) savings plans widely available in the private sector, the TSP allows employees to tax defer a portion of their income each year, subject to the requirements of the Internal Revenue Service. For calendar year 2016, employees under the age of 50 may contribute up to $18,000, while those over age 50 are eligible to make catch-up contributions that allow them to defer up to $24,000
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years' service