Here’s a little about San Francisco State University (SFSU) and the position they are recruiting for:
San Francisco State is part of the CSU system, the nation's largest and most diverse system of higher education. SF State’s Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employees.
Reporting to the AVP of Facilities Services (FS), the Groundskeeper Manager independently leads the Grounds Department team of up to approximately 20 FTE within Facilities Services. The incumbent will plan, organize and supervise all functions of campus facilities related to grounds, integrating sustainable and energy conservation approaches in the planning elements.
The incumbent is responsible for and administers the unit’s operational budget and project-based allocations; is responsible for directing technical daily operations including landscape; sports field, and turf care, extensive display gardens, forest maintenance, development and management; all aspects of pest control within the campus grounds.
- Maintaining the landscape of the property (both hardscape and soft cape), keeping it in pristine condition;
- Develop and implement an ongoing Integrated Pest Management Plan (IPM).
- Plan, schedule, routine planned maintenance, and other assigned work of the Grounds Department, including grass mowing, edging, weeding, pruning, planting, turf maintenance, leaf raking, maintain drainage and storm water detention swales, curbs, walkways, driveways, graveled areas.
- Supervise, prioritize, set and enforce work standards, and inspect work in progress and upon completion for completeness and accuracy in keeping with organizational goals, priorities, and policies.
- Manage maintenance, repair, and replacement needs of grounds equipment.
- Coordinate Grounds Department activities and labor support with other departments, supervisors and contractors.
- Timely and efficiently coordinating new projects with appropriate University business partners, accurately conveying plans and goals to the groundskeepers implementing them, and ensuring safe operations.
- Use databases and scheduled meetings to identify, communicate and plan workload, including scheduling, implementation, and securing equipment and inventory needed for routine and event-specific tasks.
- Manage departmental budgets including horticultural aspects of project budgets.
- Perform routine departmental duties including but not limited to managing budgets, maintaining records and preparing reports, and ordering supplies, materials, and equipment.
- Recommend improvements; develop and implement appropriate short and long term grounds maintenance plans.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; employee performance reviews and improvement plan, and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Foster a respectful, collaborative work environment with coworkers and other departments
- Fosters and promotes the Principles of Conduct for a multi-cultural university and user friendly principles
- Promotes and ensures the application of human resources professional responsibilities and ethical standards.
QUALIFICATIONS, REQUIRED AND PREFERRED
- 5 years of experience in grounds maintenance work and at least 3 years of management experience, or comparable education and experience.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to read, understand, and implement industrial and operational training documents, blueprints and specifications, technical bulletins, and regulatory codes governing safety equipment and to develop practices and procedures that align with Industry standards. a demonstrated ability to learn effectively from Industry training opportunities and publications.
- Qualified Applicator Certificate or Pest Control Advisors License- Possess or be able to obtain within six (6) months from date of hire
- Extensive irrigation design and operation expertise;
- Competency in managing bidding, controlling costs, and accounting for funds;
- User capabilities in computer software products including, energy management systems and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Budget planning experience
- A desire to stay updated on the latest technology and best practices in grounds management;
- English fluency and ability to write routine reports and correspondence; and
- A California drivers license and clear driving record.
- Horticultural and chemistry expertise
- Conversational experience in Spanish
- Certified Arborist International Society of Arboriculture
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- This is a management position leading a team of employees who begin work at 6:00 am with the work day ending at 2:30 pm (m-f). due to the operational nature of this position, work on weekends and extended work hours may be required to meet the operational needs of the university.
- Requires ability to respond 24/7 for consultation on university emergencies and to provide direction and oversight for corrective actions by staff.
- Requires the ability to work in inclement weather and in harsh environments.
- Position requires the use of state vehicle to attend events and visit off campus locations during work hours.
- Fingerprinting and background investigation required prior to employment.
SF State is Equal Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act employer and has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity.
Another Source works with their clients, on a retained project basis, to maximize the recruiting process.