Title of Position: Groundskeeper
Preparation Date: June 8, 2018
Function of Position:
Responsible to the Director-Physical Plant for maintaining the grounds to include mowing, trimming, snow removal and other landscaping duties. Incumbent may work with students, team members, college employees, guests of the college and vendors, treating all with respect.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Perform maintenance and upkeep of the grounds, including mowing and trimming grass, spraying weeds, spreading mulch, picking up trash.
2) Fertilize, top dress, aerate, and hydroseed identified areas.
3) Coordinate repairs to sprinkler lines.
4) Remove snow and ice from walks, drives, and parking lots; spread salt and sand.
5) Plant shrubs, trees, and flowers; trim, water, and weed flowerbeds.
6) Maintain and clean the campus fountain.
7) Monitor and schedule service work and cleaning of college vehicles
8) Prepare vehicles and trailers for trips (check fluid levels, lights & tires, add or remove seating as necessary)
9) If applicable, supervise student workers. Utilizing procedures outlined for student employees, assist in creating a positive work experience for student employees
10) Perform basic troubleshooting of telephone system and work closely with vendors.
11) Maintain tractors, mowers, trimmers, and other grounds equipment.
12) Work collaboratively with general maintenance staff and trades staff in completion of work orders.
13) Effectively utilize the work order system and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
14) Assist with moves and setups.
15) Perform other related duties as assigned.
Employee is responsible for determining own work assignments referring to standard procedures, policies and general objectives for guidance. Employee independently devises new methods to meet conditions and confers with supervisor regarding unusual matters.
Basic oral, written and math skills
Requires knowledge equivalent to high school education plus 2 years of trades training
Two years of relevant experience.
Previous experience with horticultural practices preferred.
Ability to lift over 50 pounds.
Ability to work with arms above shoulder height
Send letter of interest, including a statement regarding qualities you offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission, résumé, and contact information for three references electronically to: email@example.comHelp See www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
Wartburg College is a selective liberal arts college of the ELCA, nationally recognized for community engagement. As an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution, Wartburg College actively seeks applications from women and members of ethnic and minority groups.