Hadoop System Administrator
Number of Openings:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures that the technical infrastructure is sufficiently robust, scalable, and efficient to deliver the integrated services underlying the physical environment that supports the processes, resources, and operators required for developing, integrating, sustaining enterprise applications and support services
- Addresses the day-to-day management and maintenance of infrastructure services, systems, applications, and hardware usage
- Supports architecture, preliminary design, implementation, and infrastructure operations
- Develops infrastructure strategy and operational policies, standards, and processes tailored to agency or department missions
- Develops asset management processes that support the provisioning, tracking, reporting, ownership, risk, controls, and financial status of Enterprise Technology assets
- Enables service desk, help desk, and call center development, implementation, operations, and process improvement
- Ensures service level management through the development of processes, people, technology, and service level and operating level agreements
- Utilizes strong business and technical knowledge of platforms/operating systems to develop and support data, databases or products
- May be responsible for the implementation and ongoing administration of the Big Data ecosystem
- Understands and uses software development practices to manage configuration and automate provisioning
- Ensures infrastructure and operations security, such as network and application firewalls, authentication, identity management, and intrusion detection and prevention
- Based on assignment, requires competencies in data center operations, infrastructure platforms, and service delivery. Technical specialties include local- and wide-area network design, servers, storage, backup, disaster recovery, continuity of operation, performance monitoring, virtualization, cloud computing, modeling, visualization, and other emerging technologies
- Provisions and configures compute resources across the cloud or non-cloud landscape. Develops and implements infrastructure solutions to ensure stable and available Open Systems computing environments. Integrates and manages the Open Systems platforms with other infrastructure technologies and services into a heterogeneous environment. Performs planning, consulting,
technical analysis, designing, development and deployment activities related to Open Systems. Maintains infrastructure integrity through research and deployment of upgrades and patches. Researches Open System software, tools and emerging technology. Develops and implements policies, strategies, guidelines, standards and procedures related to Open Systems. Develops processes and tools for managing the Open Systems infrastructure. Provides services to proactively plan capacity along with proactive and reactive performance and availability for the mainframe, open systems, storage and network environments and the applications that reside on them.
State Farm is establishing teams responsible for the enterprise Hadoop platform, enabling the development of new applications used in operations, analytics, data science, and machine learning.
At the heart of this team, we need Infrastructure analysts who are innovative, self-motivated and enjoy working in an agile, collaborative environment.
If you’re looking for an organization striving to harness the latest technologies for competitive advantage, then State Farm is for you!
Required Technology Skills:
3-5 yrs. professional hands on experience in a Hadoop/Linux environment
· Experience with scripting (i.e. Puppet, Bash, Linux scripting)
· Experience working with Linux based environments is a must
· Experience with Kerberos/encryption/LDAP
· Understanding of the movement of data as it relates to migration as well as disaster recovery (active/passive)
· Understanding of design principles and factors that impact system functionality and performance
· General understanding of Virtual Environments
· General understanding of networking
· Knowledge of Hadoop products is a plus (i.e. HDFS, Cloudera Distribution Hadoop (HDP), Cloudera Manager, Yarn, Zookeeper, Hue)
· Knowledge or ability to learn about the Hadoop platform
· Knowledge of or experience with SAFe Agile framework
· Identifies critical and emerging technologies that will support and enhance infrastructurerelated capabilities for Hadoop and Big Data
· Develops fundamental understanding of insurance and financial services operations and uses this knowledge in decision making
Other Technology Experience:
· Cloudera Managers
· Best1 (BMC Performance Assurance)
· Quest Putty
· Linux (Command line)
This position will have an 18-month incumbency period for a lateral move and a 6-month incumbency period for a promotional opportunity (beginning on the effective date of the position) which must be met before the employee can post for any other State Farm position. The incumbency period does not affect the at-will relationship between State Farm and the employee and does not create an employment contract, nor contractual rights.