A career with EMD Serono is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 52,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Serono is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Head, Patient Outcomes & Solutions US Medical Affairs is responsible for creating and maintaining a scalable, post-approval collaboration platform focused on real world evidence and patient-reported outcomes that will contribute to differentiated medical leadership for EMD Serono. This will be achieved, in part, by developing and driving a US-centered research network, including select registries, through which to conduct signature research on cutting edge topics that will inform and improved patient-centered care. This individual will report to the North American Chief Medical Officer (CMO), will be an active member and collaborate closely with the entire North American Medical Affairs (NAMA) Leadership Team, especially the TA Heads and Head of Integrated Data Generation and Management. Other critical internal interfaces include colleagues in Global Medical Affairs, Global Clinical Development, Global and US Market Access and Customer Solutions, Global Evidence and Value Development, and Global and US Patient Advocacy and Strategic Partnerships. Critical external interfaces include thought-leading health care providers, payers, advocacy groups, and professional societies. Importantly, this work and its successful output may serve as a model for future expansion to Oncology and other areas like Lupus and Osteoarthritis.
- Responsible for establishing a scalable, post-approval academic collaboration platform focused on meaningful and successful data generation activities
- Collaborate closely with NAMA TA heads and NA CMO in defining academic collaboration focus relevant to identified data gaps and medical imperatives
- Align identified strategic priorities with relevant, internal cross-functional stakeholders
- Establish and maintain partnerships with leading academic centers and other relevant external stakeholders (e.g., HCPs, NPs, APCs, patient advocates, etc.)
- With small team, manage successful execution of collaborative studies, ISTs, and other data generation activities that result from academic collaboration platform
- Collaborate with medical communications teams to ensure dissemination of data through appropriate vehicles and venues
- Ensure appropriate cross-functional input (e.g., Regional Clinical Operations, Global Biostats and Epidemiology, Global Data Sciences, Global Evidence and Value Development, Health Economics and Outcomes Research, etc.) into study plans, execution, and output
- Collaborate with patient advocacy groups to enrich patient centricity within NAMA strategy and tactics across TAs
- Coach, manage and provide individual job enrichment and developmental opportunities to small team of direct reports
Who you are:
- Advanced degree in a scientific discipline (PharmD, PhD or MD)
- Minimum of 12 years of experience in the pharmaceutical/healthcare industry with demonstration of ability to prioritize and deliver successful results
- Minimum of 10 years of managerial experience required
- Prior experience of at least 5 years working with patient advocacy groups and/or with payer groups, preferably managed markets
- Demonstrated understanding of the clinical development and post-marketing environment for pharmaceuticals including post-marketing clinical studies and medical affairs strategic activities
- Excellent management, teamwork, communication and presentation skills and solid experience in developing and executing strategic plans
- Demonstrated ability to work with, create, and lead multi-disciplinary teams, manage and motivate a diverse work group, maximize productivity, and deliver results
- Thriving in a rapidly changing competitive environment, with changing customer needs, and evolving priorities
- Experience working in a collaborative environment that encompasses many research, clinical, medical, and business functions such as Market Access, R&D, Commercial, Marketing & Sales, Patient Advocacy
- Strong and established relationships with key opinion leaders, assistant practice clinicians and patient advocacy groups in the MS space
- Experience with clinical trial and protocol design required
- Experience with patient reported outcomes and real-word evidence generation activities
- Experience interrogating patient registries
- Prior launch experience in the US preferred
- Demonstrated credibility with key external stakeholders
- Creation of solid plans and reports for which performance and progress can be measured and evaluated
- Knowledge and application of business planning & leadership principles, such as goal setting, action plans, monitoring tools, directive and supportive techniques to develop and implement action plans
- Able to travel 40%
What we offer: With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.