The Health Educator is responsible for planning, implementing and evaluating health education activities for CalOptima members. Provides individual and group health education services and acts as a resource for CalOptima providers, health networks and community partners. The incumbent will deliver health education interventions through various methods and techniques that are effective to CalOptima members. Flexible schedule requires availability to participate in evening and weekend events when scheduled.
- Provides health education coaching to individuals or group classes using a member-centered approach.
- Promotes preventive care, health screenings, chronic condition management, and healthy living with the CalOptima population.
- Develops and conducts assessments to evaluate member health needs.
- Prepare written materials for distribution to members in the appropriate formats and literacy levels as needed.
- Coordinates health education program activities with other departments, outside agencies and organizations.
- Stays current on developments in the field of health education.
- Follows CalOptima’s protocol for documenting all interventions.
- Completes productivity reports as required.
- Serves as a resource for CalOptima providers, health networks and the community.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
- Review, develop and recommend high quality, culturally appropriate health education materials.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels, providers, other programs or agency representatives, and the public.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Initiate and follow through on projects with minimal supervision.
- Work well as part of a team to manage/lead multiple projects simultaneously.
- Think critically to solve problems effectively.
- Effectively utilize computer and appropriate software and interact as needed with CalOptima Information Services.
Experience & Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Education or other closely related field required; Master’s degree in Public Health or Health Science preferred.
- 1+ years of health education experience, preferably in a managed care setting.
- Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) certification preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle, or other approved means of transportation, an acceptable driving record, and current auto insurance will be required for work away from the primary office approximately10% of the time to PACE and events in the community.
- Bilingual in English and in one of CalOptima's defined threshold language is required.
- Health education program planning and evaluation.
- Behavior change, adult learning and group process theories and application.
- Motivational interviewing/client-centered counseling.
- Health literacy and plain language communication.
- Readability and suitability standards and guidelines for health education materials.
- Appropriate techniques, practices and cultural sensitivities to serve social and ethnic groups.
- Microsoft Office Word, Power Point, Excel, Publisher.