Mission: The mission of Paul Public Charter School is to educate our students and to develop in them the capacity to be responsible citizens, independent thinkers, and leaders. Paul PCS, located in Northwest Washington, DC, serves students in middle and high school and is the home of the “M.E.R.I.T. Scholars” (motivated, educated, responsible, independent thinker). Beginning in the middle grades, MERIT Scholars experience a rigorous academic curriculum, coupled with arts and athletic opportunities to develop a firm foundation to eventually enter our college preparatory program at Paul International High School.
Position Overview: The HS French Teacher ensures that all program components of Paul’s educational model maximize the educational experience and academic performance of every student.
Primary Accountabilities: To teach Special Ed and General Ed in French, as well as ability to teach Maths and Science. The qualified candidate will develop curriculum, aligned assignments, differentiate plans, and deliver rigorous and engaging content and instructions to students. Candidate will teach the French Language with emphasis on oral proficiency, use of multi-media tools and active student participation.
Curriculum Design, Instruction, and Student Assessment
- Develop curriculum aligned with state and common core standards
- Design assessments and use data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices
- Approach practice with a sense of urgency, maximizing every minute with students
- Collaborate with content and grade-level teams to promote an environment of critical thinking and academic rigor
- Differentiate plans for individual students based on their unique learning profiles so that all students are engaged and challenged
- Deliver rigorous and engaging content and instruction to students with passion and a willingness to do “whatever it takes” to help students succeed
Building School Culture
- Build strong relationships with students and engage students in deep learning
- Believe deeply in the mission of Paul Public Charter School and that all children can meet high academic expectations
- Uphold consistent behavioral systems and student expectations within the classroom and everywhere on campus
- Communicate student progress regularly with parents and families
- Be accountable for student’s mastery of academic standards
- Embrace feedback and constructive criticism in the spirit of constant growth and development
- Demonstrate maturity, humility, professionalism, confidence, and a strong work ethic inside and outside the classroom
- Perform clerical duties, as required, relating to textbooks, instructional supplies, student reports and records, attendance reports, etc.
- Additional responsibilities may arise during the school year. This could include but is not limited to: lunch or afternoon duty, attending staff and student field trips, open houses, parent-teacher conferences, home visits, and other events involving parents and students as needed. They will be communicated to all employees with as much notice and flexibility as possible.
- Bachelor’s degree required (within content area preferred)
- Commitment to working with students from educationally underserved communities
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for content area
- At least 2 years of teaching experience in an urban public school setting preferred
- Able to pass a criminal background check, as required by law
We offer: A competitive salary, excellent benefits, an innovative work environment, and an opportunity to rethink school as we know it and change the lives of our students.