Please review the Important information for all USC job applicants page for more details regarding your rights and obligations as a job candidate.
The city of Los Angeles boasts endless attractions and tourist destinations. Amongst all of the sights and sounds, the USC Hotel offers a modern and convenient place to unwind, with 240 spacious, comfortable guest rooms and over 15,000 square feet of flexible event space. Owned and operated by the University of Southern California, and the site of a recent multi-million dollar renovation, the hotel features luxurious fabrics and artwork depicting the storied traditions of USC. Additional renovations, which include the restaurants and kitchens, are in the planning stage.
Pre-game, post-game or no-game, McKay's is the perfect place to enjoy a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner with your friends. Located in the USC Hotel, McKay's features an inviting lounge, a comfortable dining area, and the Trophy Room; the perfect venue for private parties, meetings and special events. Memorabilia of some of the greatest moments in USC history frame our space, exemplifying the winning tradition and heritage of its namesake. Our lively sports atmosphere is friendly and casual, making it a welcoming environment for both our guests and our staff.
We are seeking a Host/Hostess to join our rapidly growing team.
As the Host or Hostess, you have the opportunity to greet each of our guests with a friendly, welcoming, and helpful attitude. You will be responsible for providing our exceptional customer service to the students, athletes, faculty, staff, and guests that visit our restaurant. The Host/Hostess will present himself (or herself) with professionalism and polish, based on restaurant standards. Since you will be the first face that each guest sees, you will be helping us to set The Lab apart from other restaurants. We want you to reflect the passion and experience of all of our team!
- Provide customer services to faculty, staff, students and guests. Meet and greet guests. Manage the seating of all guests with a friendly and helpful attitude. Conduct service transactions.
- Monitor flow of walk-in guests and reservations as related to the availability of seating.
- Provide basic food and beverage preparation service, as needed. Serve food and beverages to customers, as required.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the facilities, equipment, and service-wear.
- Assist in set-up and break-down of dining room, serving area, buffets, coffee stations, and product displays.
- Stock and maintain all supplies, food items, and utensils, as required.
- Assist servers by running food and beverages to tables, when required.
- Assist in kitchen sanitation program. Comply with standard food handling and sanitation procedures.
- Adhere to department service standards and to all health, safety and university rules and regulations.
- Comply with all university policies and procedures and with all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Report to station, ready to work at the time work assignment is scheduled to begin.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: High School Diploma.
- Experience: 1 year.
- Demonstrated customer service experience.
- Experience working in a fast-paced restaurant environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Restaurant, private club, or banquet facility experience.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Presents oneself professionally, in line with higher education environment.
What We Prefer:
- Associate’s Degree.
- 2 years of experience.
- Knowledge of proper cash handling procedures.
- Ability to oversee student and/or temporary workers.
The Trojan Family Rewards:
We pride ourselves in creating the BEST USC EXPERIENCE, and that begins with our employees! We offer a wide variety of benefits and programs that support our staff and their families including:
- Benefits: dental and vision plans, tuition assistance for our employees and their families, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, 2:1 retirement plan contributions, child care centers and up to $50,000 housing subsidy. And because we are a qualifying public service organization, you may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) for educational loans. Don’t believe us? Visit benefits.usc.edu.
- Perks: discounts to USC sporting events, USC Bookstores, wireless plans, travel, accommodations, and local entertainment.
- Career Growth: We are the largest private employer in Los Angeles offering tremendous development opportunities in multiple fields and industries. The Trojan Network connects current and previous members of the Trojan family to create an endless professional network.
This support advocates work-life balance and employee well-being. As members of the Trojan family, employees are connected by the traditions and history that make us proud to be Trojans!
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
High school or equivalent
Minimum Field of Expertise:
Demonstrated customer service experience. Experience working in a fast paced working environment. Ability to effectively communicate in English. Restaurant, private club, or banquet facility experience.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at email@example.com. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser:https://wd5.myworkday.com/usc/d/inst/1$9925/9925$42966.htmld