*The position is Provisional contingent upon taking, passing and being reachable
on the Civil Service examination that corresponds to this position.
ASSIGNMENT: District/ Human Resources
EFFECTIVE DATE: IMMEDIATELY
REQUIREMENTS: Must meet Civil Service Requirements
A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State Registered College or University with a Master’s Degree and two years of full-time paid professional human resources experience; OR
B) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State Registered College or University with a Bachelor’s Degree and four (4) years of full-time paid professional human resources experience.
This position involves responsibility for the processing of multiple types of human resource transactions. Duties, although often clerical in nature, will be broad and the work will be varied. Duties performed are primarily focused on the specialized programmatic tasks and functions of human resource transactions, using computer-based applications. The work is varied depending on the assignment of the individual employee. The work is performed under the general direction of the Director of Human Resources with leeway given for the exercise of independent judgement in dealing with routine tasks and new tasks where policy is not yet established. Does related work as required.TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Partners with employees and management to administer and communicate various Human Resources policies, procedures, laws, standards and government regulations. Ensures legal and ethical compliance with state and federal laws.
- Answers employee questions concerning various human resource transactions pursuant to the individual’s collective bargaining agreement and applicable employment laws including payroll, benefits, leave of absence and workers’ compensation among others;
- Able to maintain the highest degree on confidentiality and professional discretion and assist with collective bargaining, contract and personnel administration;
- Able to multi-task, communicate progress and meet deadlines;
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal and state laws, including FLSA, ADA, FMLA, TITLE IX, COBRA, HIPAA among others;
- Assist with facilitating HR related training and annual Performance Review process;
- Resolves human resource transaction discrepancies including unusual or difficult issues and escalates them as appropriate;
- Prepares original correspondence to employees, human resources vendors and other clientele on a variety of issues;
- Prepares Civil Service and Unemployment paperwork and correspondence;
- Processing information pertaining to various other human resources transactions including, but not limited to, recruiting, grievance handling, unemployment insurance, benefits programs, and workers compensation;
- Participates in the implementation and upgrades of new software systems pertaining to human resources information;
- Trains new employees and departmental users on the use of human resources information systems and processes;
- Develops and makes recommendations to improve efficiencies in the office;
- Prepares reports using computer-based application to create spreadsheets, manipulating data as needed;
- Maintains electronic and hard copy files and records as required;
- Assists in the development of human resource processes and procedures
- Provides back-up to other Human Resource staff;
- Performs other duties as assigned consistent with the goals and responsibilities of this position and as directed by the Director of Human Resources and his/her designee.
Full Performance Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics: Good knowledge of the principles, practices, and policies of human resource administration and labor law; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to maintain effective working relationships with other officials and employees; ability to present clear and concise oral and written presentations to both large and small groups; ability to effectively use computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint; ability to identify critical problem areas and to formulate and implement realistic solutions; professional and personal integrity; initiative; resourcefulness; dependability; tact; sound judgment; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
SALARY: $60,000- $65,000 based on experience
CLOSING DATE: July 11, 2018
Please send letter of interest, resume, list of 4 references and TCSD application form at
or mail to: Office of Human Resources
475 First Street
Troy, NY 12180
In accordance with SAVE Legislation
fingerprint supported criminal background check required for selected applicant.