SAN Administrators work closely with the Server Engineering, Provisioning, and Network Services teams as well as various other groups in the organization to support the client's storage infrastructure. The team is responsible for the support, operation, and recovery of SAN storage infrastructure including arrays, switches, converged platforms and supporting software.
The Engineering Operations Team collaborates with the design and server groups to identify and implement sound storage solutions. The team adheres to published standards and best practices to build and sustain a compliant and robust enterprise infrastructure.
Each Administrator confers with peers on technical problems, procedures and troubleshooting methods. Consults with and advises users and other support groups of storage issues. Projects long-range requirements for storage administration and expansion. Plans and recommends infrastructure modifications or additional equipment to increase system capacities. Analyzes the results of storage monitoring and recommends changes to improve performance, security and utilization. Periodically may perform some project management and coordination of efforts with other infrastructure teams and vendors.
The storage administrator must have a working level of knowledge and experience with a broad base of adjoining technologies including storage area networks, local area networks, virtualization software, and converged hardware. Additionally, they must possess strong troubleshooting abilities to maintain high levels of system uptime and performance.
The individual's responsibility will be to maximize the uptime and performance characteristics for SAN infrastructure and converged platforms. This will require daily monitoring and caretaking as well as 24x7x365 on-call duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Support the implementation, troubleshooting, and updating of san storage infrastructure
· Support the implementation, troubleshooting, and updating of converged and hyper-converged infrastructure
· Provide for day-to-day operations in all environments (e.g. Prod, non-prod), including
o Software updates and patching
o Array code updates and patching
o Hardware installations, configurations, and decommissioning
o Replication monitoring, installation and configuration
o Security and technical advisory evaluation and deployment
o Response to service desk incidents
o Assist developers and application teams with isolation and resolution of application and performance issues that are service, operating system, or hardware based.
· Communication with vendors in resolution of incidents
· Conform to and support system's management disciplines such as the Corporate Change, Asset, and Problem Management procedures.
· Perform other duties as assigned
· BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
· 7+ years virtual environment experience
· 5+ years storage administration experience in a large SAN environment
· 3+ years of administration experience with Windows, Linux, or Unix
· Must have working knowledge of Networking and Database operations
· Must have excellent knowledge of converged platforms
· Above average communication both written and verbal
· Experience with shell scripting a plus
· Experience with replication technologies (SRDF, Recover Point, RP4VM)
· Possess 'team player' skills
· Proficient Knowledge in VMWare administration
· Proficient Knowledge of Dell-EMC converged or hyper-converged storage hardware
· Above average verbal and written communication skills
· Strong organizational skills including time management
· Ability to rapidly master and apply new technologies and methodologies
· Strong commitment to customer service
· Ability to multitask and prioritize work requirements
· Working Knowledge of Windows, Linux, or Unix Operating Systems
· Working Knowledge of Network protocols: TCP/IP
· Familiarity with Cloud technologies
· Project management skills
· Help desk ticketing system experience
· Familiar with VROPs, SRM, or other monitoring software
· Cubicle with some extended time in a large computer room environment.
· Regular participation in on-call which includes carrying and responding to an electronic pager 7/24 during the call period. This may also require dialing in or coming to effect change.
· Limited physical activities to lift, move and carry light to medium weight objects.
· Occasional need to bend or kneel and handle low voltage cables.
· Travel to multiple sites throughout metropolitan Boston is occasionally required.
· Remote home access equipment and communication will be provided and is required.
· Occasional travel to professional seminars and conferences