The Bartender will provide exceptional customer service, and mix and serve drinks to patrons, directly or through wait staff, quickly and without waste. Bartenders must work well with wait staff and other staff to ensure that customers receive prompt service.
The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but Sodexo may identify other responsibilities of the position. These responsibilities may differ among accounts, depending on business necessities and client requirements.
- Greets guests, mixes and serves alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks and creates drink recipes with appropriate garnishes.
- Checks identification of customers to verify age requirements for purchase of alcohol.
- Bartenders should be friendly, tactful and attentive when dealing with customers.
- Takes beverage orders from serving staff or directly from patrons.
- Slices and pits fruit for garnishing drinks.
- Arranges bar/cart supplies and glasses to make attractive displays.
- Maintains bar/cart area in a neat and sanitary manner.
- Cleans glasses, utensils, and bar equipment; cleans bars, work areas and tables.
- Records all sales, collects money, operates a cash/credit card/electronic payment register and follows all cash-handling procedures as required.
- May prepare and/or sell food items.
- May take inventory and review stock and requisitions.
- May stock bar with beer, wine, liquor and related supplies such as ice, glassware, napkins or straws.
- Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training.
- Complies with all Sodexo HACCP policies and procedures.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- High School diploma, GED, or equivalent experience.
- 0 to 1 year related experience.
- Must be able to make a wide range of drink recipes and be able to mix drinks correctly.
- Presents self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty and ethics are essential.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect.
- Maintains a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers, customers, and client representatives.
- Ability to use a computer.
- Listen carefully to their customers’ orders, explain drink and food items, and make menu recommendations.
- Converse with customers on a variety of subjects, to create a friendly and welcoming environment at the bar.
- Willingness to be open to learning and growing.
- Maturity of judgment and behavior.
- Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance.
- Maintains a positive attitude.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule helpful.
- Must comply with any dress code requirements.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity.
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
- Significant walking or other means of mobility.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
Working Conditions (may add additional conditions specific to defined work location):
- Generally in an indoor setting; however, may supervise outside activities and events.
- Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays, weekends and extended hours as business dictates.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily in a controlled, temperate environment; however, may be exposed to heat/cold during support of outside activities.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Polaris lounge – Mixologist, untipped January 2018
United Polaris lounge – Mixologist, untipped
Job Summary: Participate in Pre-flight team meeting. Make certain your personal appearance and
uniform is compliant with established Polaris requirements, client and Sodexo policy. Confirm areas are
presentable for a guest to walk through. Review normally assigned tasks for the day as established or
as communicated. Communicate with supervisor about any specific task changes or high priorities.
Always be willing to assist in other areas as demands or staffing changes.
Employee will self-manage time before the end of shift- plan time and efforts needed to complete
closing duties such as: stocking, cleaning and documentation. Ask for help if you find yourself unable to
complete tasks; work with supervisor or certifying team member to avoid being behind in the future.
Always try to aid the next shift by completing checklists and communicate concerns or areas to be
addressed verbally or by written communication (if you are the closing shift).
Prepare drink orders and coffee based beverages for guests according to specified recipes using measuring
equipment. Comply with local, state, and federal laws, client and company guidelines when dispensing
alcohol (e.g., age restrictions, last call times, CARE - Control Alcohol Risks Effectively). Prepare
consumption report. Secure liquors, beers, wines, coolers, cabinets, and storage areas. Complete opening
duties including setting up designated bar stock, supplies, and tools, and ensuring work area is clean and
everything is in working order. Set up and break down bar and barista station utilizing checklists provided.
Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation, and organization of assigned stations and service areas.
Process usage tracking by entering all alcoholic drinks, wines, beers etc., in provided application
(Partender or similar). Respond to guest/client complaints/compliments regarding drinks, food or service.
Other related tasks as requested by Sodexo management.
Safety and Security
Follow proper food handling procedures and all Sodexo food and beverage handling policies.
Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to
Follow company and department safety, security, and loss prevention policies and procedures
to ensure a clean, safe, and secure environment
Follow policies and procedures for the safe operation and storage of tools, equipment, and
Inventory and secure any knives, sharps or blades per requirements of airport authority
Identify and correct unsafe work procedures or conditions and/or report them to management
and security/safety personnel
Follow property-specific procedures for handling emergency situations (e.g., evacuations,
medical emergencies, natural disasters)
Use proper equipment, wear appropriate personal protective clothing/equipment (PPE), and
employ correct lifting procedures, as necessary, to avoid injury
United Polaris lounge – Mixologist, untipped January 2018
Safety and Security, continued
Understand and adhere to Sodexo’s handwashing and food handling glove policy
Satisfactorily complete assigned safety training and certification processes to perform work
tasks/fulfill job duties
Maintain issued Airport ID badge in good order
Report lost or damaged Airport ID badge to your manager immediately
Understand and follow all Airport security rules and regulations
Report Airport ID badge expiration date to Sodexo manager 30 days before expiration
Policies and Procedures
Follow all federal, state, and local regulations, as well as Sodexo/client policies and procedures
(e.g., Quality Assurance, Safety, Operations, Human Resources)
Appear for work in proper uniform and ready to work, “clocking in” at or slightly before your
scheduled start time
Adhere to uniform/dress code and ensure personal appearance is clean, hygienic, professional
and in compliance with client and company policies and procedures
Understand and uphold the United Polaris lounge culture:
o Memorize and be prepared to recite the Polaris North Star credo
o Memorize and explain the Shining Star Five Steps of Service
o Understand and explain each of the ten Shining Star Service Values
and how they apply
to the role
On separation from employment from Sodexo or utilizing LOA, issued Airport ID badge and all
uniform parts, clean and in good repair, must be returned to Sodexo management
Protect company and client tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with
company policies and procedures
Attend and contribute to the Pre-Flight meeting before your shift
Review menu items in Pre-flight and offer guests clear and appealing descriptions of those items
Must be able to describe and accurately compare all coffee based drinks offered, varietals of
wines purveyed, beers, ales and stouts offered and various spirits, cocktails and liqueurs served
and suggest appropriate pairings
Understand ingredients in all dishes on menu with awareness of any potential allergens
Must be able to clearly speak, write and understand proper business English (Safety and
Must be able to describe and accurately compare all varietals of wines purveyed, beers, ales and
stouts offered and various spirits, cocktails, liqueurs served and coffee based drinks offered
Working with Others
Handle sensitive issues with employees, clients and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and
Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees
United Polaris lounge – Mixologist, untipped January 2018
Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common
Working with Others, continued
Support all coworkers and treat them with dignity and respect
Clean and maintain property and premises, ensuring all cleanliness standards are met
Execute all opening and closing checklists and seek feedback from manager or supervisor
Complete cleaning tasks assigned: daily, weekly and as scheduled
Maintain clean and clutter-free work space, including public areas
If certified to do so, under assignment by Polaris Navigator, act as Co-Pilot in certifying new
team member in position duties, requirements and verify United Polaris Cultural competency
Able to stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift
Able to safely lift and transport items up to 25 pounds
Complete duties and tasks as provided on Opening Checklist
Complete opening duties including setting up necessary supplies and tools, including inventory,
and ensuring work area is clean and everything is in working order
Set up workstations with all necessary supplies utilizing checklists provided. Communicate low
or missing inventory to managers
Complete duties and tasks as provided on Closing Checklist
Secure liquors, beers, wines, coolers, cabinets, and storage areas
Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation, and organization of assigned station and service
Maintaining the Bar and Barista Station
Mixologist must complete mandatory Polaris lounge beverage training and successfully pass the
certification exam that includes a written and oral exam as well as a skills demonstration and
maintain that certification as required by Sodexo
Requisition all necessary supplies, specifically bottle-for-bottle liquor restock, securely
transporting supplies from storeroom to bar set-up area as required
Maintain cleanliness and condition of bar, bar unit (e.g., CO2 lines, soda tanks, soda guns, drain),
tables, and other tools, following all set-up guidelines
Prepare drink and beverage orders for guests according to specified recipes using measuring
***SHIFTS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON OPERATIONAL NEEDS***
Location: IAH George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport
In order to work at the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport, the successful applicant must:
- Complete and pass the fingerprint process and criminal background check
- Obtain a valid IAH ID to work at the airport