We have an opportunity for an experienced Image Processing Engineer to join our Visual Product Development Team. This lead role will be responsible for producing advance designs and algorithms for image processing, image compression, and image storage systems. They will perform research and development of new image processing techniques for use in future products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Verify FPGA-based modules against system requirements using simulation.
- Produce FPGA-based modules to implement camera processing, image and signal processing, video encoding and decoding.
- Analyses and Modeling
- Perform system modeling of camera systems components, which include imagers, CDS sampling, and digital image processing.
- Perform system modeling of image compression algorithms including MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 standards.
- Determine, where appropriate, empirical methods to validate analytical models.If necessary, update the model assumptions and/or empirical methods to correlate the results.
- Document the results of the analyses in technical reports.
- Algorithm Development
- Develop image processing algorithms for acquisition based on CCD and CMOS sensors using color filter array, tri-chroic prism, interlaced and progressive scan.
- Research and develop new image processing techniques, solutions for use in future and existing KSI products.
- Project Development Teams Support
- Provide objective image analysis / image compression / image storage assistance during various design phases.
- Contribute design ideas, constraints, trade-offs, and concerns to the Project Teams
- Review and understand the following standards
- Image Compression Standards (MPEG-2 and MPEG-4)
- Image Storage Hardware Performance (DVD, BluRay, HD-DVD)
- Image Storage File Formats (tiff, bmp)
- Hospital Information Formats (DICOM, HL-7)
- General Engineering
- Provide support and technical direction for the generation and maintenance testing.
- Will spend part of his/her time as a member of continuous improvement teams undertaking projects and seeking ways to improve the quality of KSI’s products and services.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of medical device quality system regulations and standards (eg, U.S. FDA Quality System Regulation 21CFR Part 820, ISO13485, ISO9001)
- Experience using computer simulation software (MATLAB, Simulink, MathCAD).
- Experience and knowledge of image compression routines such as MPEG-2 and MPEG-4.
- Experience with and competent knowledge of NTSC/PAL video systems.
- Understanding of colorimetry, image sensing technology, and digital video formats.
- Linear system decomposition and analysis.
- Knowledgeable of image processing techniques.
- Knowledgeable of DSP image processing techniques, including round off, sampling theory, interpolation techniques, filtering, etc.
- 5 years’ experience in image processing design or related field.
- This position requires occasional lifting of test equipment such as a PC, monitor, camera, etc. up to approximately 30 lbs.
- The employee will also need to work in front of a monitor for extended periods of time.
- Bachelors of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, emphasis in Signal Processing or related field with 9-12 years in analog/digital system design and analysis and DSP techniques, algorithm development, and applications or Masters of Science in Image Processing or related field with 7-11 years in analog/digital system design and analysis and DSP techniques, algorithm development, and applications.
- Design and familiarity with FPGAs.
- Familiarity with Endoscopy a plus
About the Company:
As the largest privately held medical device company in the world, KARL STORZ has achieved global preeminence in endoscopes and medical imaging devices used in minimally invasive surgery. Based in beautiful Santa Barbara, CA, KARL STORZ Imaging is the center of the company’s Product Development and Innovation, responsible for the creation and development of imaging systems, electromechanical devices and technologies.
- Medical / Dental / Vision
- 3 weeks’ vacation plus sick days
- 401K plus company match
- Section 125 Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life, STD, LTD & LTC Insurance
- Tuition reimbursement (Up to $5,250 per year)
- Fitness reimbursement up to $200 annually
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, click on the link below or the apply button.