Assists with maintaining Company's waste and scrap recycling programs. Collects scrap material from machine operators, compresses and/or bundles waste materials using baler in a safe manner. Maintains clean production areas, rest rooms, break rooms and offices as assigned following proper safety procedures. Assists with other material handling duties as assigned.
*1 Cleans production, break rooms, office work areas and other areas as assigned throughout the day. Removes debris and refuse. Sweeps and mops floors and carpets throughout the work day.
*2. Collects scrap material from sewing room department including quilters, flangers, sergers; the production department including mattress build, tape edge; and from any other area in the Plant that generates scrap on a regular basis throughout the day in order to keep up with scrap generated in work areas that related to JIT production flow.
*3. Places scrap materials in baler and operate baler using safe practices including never entering the baler.
*4. Bales scrap using baling wire when the baler is full; and uses forklift or pallet jack as required to perform the function.
*5. Weighs the baled scrap and identifies the weight is and has removed from baler. Prepares recyclable materials for shipping, and prepares baler machine to receive new scrap material.
*6. Maintains clear exits and building entryways, and assists with basic grounds upkeep as needed.
*7. Provides basic maintenance support including making minor equipment repairs, cleaning and lubricating parts or equipment, assisting with light plumbing, replacing light bulbs, cleaning filters, and other preventive maintenance support. Maintains documentation as needed regarding work and maintenance performed.
*8. Performs various material handling duties as assigned.
9. Maintains adequate inventory of cleaning supplies and requests new supplies as needed.
10. Participates in Plant Committee meetings with regard to Waste Prevention Program and the Safety Committee as requested. Assists with special projects as requested.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
REQUIRED: 1. Must be at least age 18 to operator machinery
2. Proficiency in reading and writing English
3. One year of relevant experience
DESIRED: 1. High school graduate or equivalent
2. Good mechanical aptitude
3. Familiarity with safety programs in manufacturing environment
4. Previous certification for driving a forklift
Approximate training period for individual meeting minimum qualifications is one month.
1. Effective communication and interpersonal skills
2. Effective organization skills along with ability to work at a pace necessary to keep up with the JIT production flow
3. Proficiency and basic ability to read and write English
4. Ability to interpret and support standards, policies and procedures established by Serta, or Federal, State or local agencies
Errors committed in the course of performing the duties of this position may result in accidents, impact productivity and quality as well as cause health/safety problems for the Plant and Company.
Work involves exposure to usual hazards found in a manufacturing environment. Work involves exposure to various cleaning solvents. Work involves regular lifting, pushing and pulling. Work also involves occasional crawling, climbing with some overhead work.
SUPERVISED BY: Plant Manager and Maintenance Supervisor/Coordinator
EEO CLASS: 6
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled