Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life-cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in. www.woodplc.com
We offer competitive salaries along with a complete benefits package including: medical, vision, & dental coverage, 401K Matching, Educational Reimbursement, and a variety of Training and Development Programs to help you develop the skills you need to succeed in your chosen career path.
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is seeking a Junior Level Environmental Scientist to join our Portland, Oregon office. The position requires a self-motivated candidate able to work as part of project teams, where he/she will support senior staff and learn to solve problems and document solutions, express ideas through strong technical writing and verbal communication, and support technical reports, plans and calculations in a consulting environment. The position will include work on a variety of projects, which may include site assessment, soil and groundwater investigations and remediation systems, chemical fate and transport assessment, hazardous waste management, permitting, and site planning. This person will be a member of teams providing environmental consulting services to commercial and government clients, and will initially perform routine technical tasks under direction of senior staff.
- Follow company safety standards, site safety standards
- Perform field investigation, inspection, analysis (i.e. Phase I/Phase II Environmental Site Assessment, hazardous material assessment) w/ equipment and instrumentation
- Assist in preparation of technical reports, including text, maps, charts, figures, tables
- Manage, evaluate and interpret chemical, geologic, hydrogeologic, biological and other environmental data, and perform chemical calculations
- Apply federal, state and local environmental regulations
- Contact vendors; research literature; seek solutions to regulatory requirements
- Perform field oversight of Wood or subcontractor personnel
- Interact with specialists in other technical practice areas in support of projects
- Other activities as required, and based on abilities and interest
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelors degree from an accredited institution in environmental science, geology, chemistry, engineering, hydrogeology or related science; Masters degree or 2+ years’ experience preferred
- 0 to 5 years environmental professional experience; 1 or more years preferred
- Desire to obtain professional registration a plus
- Team player with strong problem solving skills, strong written and verbal communication skills, good organizational skills, a willingness to learn, the ability to self-manage multiple tasks and priorities, and the willingness to seek help from senior staff as needed
- Valid drivers license and current automobile insurance or ability to qualify for automobile insurance coverage
- Ability to pass a physical exam for medical clearance to work on hazardous waste sites
- Ability to work in industrial and field environments as well as the office
- Ability to perform work in personal protective equipment and air purifying respirator
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours as required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- Willingness to travel and accept occasional short or long term assignments outside of Portland a plus
- Must pass drug test, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy
If you believe you have the necessary knowledge, experience and enthusiasm to succeed in this position, then we would like to hear from you.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or protected veteran status in accordance with governing laws.
By submitting your resume, you consent to Wood plc sharing this information within its divisions in order to identify other employment opportunities for which you may be suitable.