Acuity is looking for a Junior Java Developer to join its Software Engineering Practice. Acuity is focused on building cutting edge, custom and functional applications for government agencies. We are a team of “doers” with a bias towards action, and have a proven track record of implementing innovative technology solutions to solve complex challenges within government. Our team believes in the importance of usability, user experience (UX), and design within our applications and we seek to break the stereotype of clunky government applications. We use modern design and project management tools such as design thinking, rapid prototyping, and agile development to build and customize solutions that are fun to use and effective at meeting their goals. We think of the applications we build as products and work to ship those products in months instead of years.
Acuity, Inc. is a leading management and technology consulting firm that specializes in serving the federal government. Our innovative, collaborative and rewarding work environment has earned repeat honors from the Washington Business Journal’s Best Places to Work and SmartCEO Corporate Culture awards.
As a Junior Java Developer you will assist in developing Java and TIBCO solutions, participate in design reviews, conduct code reviews, create test plans and participate in testing reviews, and resolve moderate defects. This position will help in supporting the designs, documents, reviews, and maintenance of the components of software solutions for projects related to the support of varying Integration applications as needed.
The role operates in an Agile / Scrum environment and requires a solid understanding of the full software lifecycle, including functional requirement gathering, design and development, testing of software applications and documenting requirements and technical specifications.
In addition, you will also be responsible in supporting and helping in the following:
- Researches, assist in development, and/or participates in hands-on installation, configuration, and maintenance of the application code and environments. This includes troubleshooting production issues, deploying application and configuration components, automation and upgrade
- Assist in documentation for testing and maintenance of system corrections, that will automate tasks and assist in reporting
- Assist in production support of business applications: start and stop of application instances; trouble shoot application failures, and diagnosing performance or reliability issues of applications; assisting application teams in the use custom support tools
- 1 - 2 years of experience in Java /J2EE development, concurrency, middleware, and/or distributed computing.
- Proven history of successful interaction with internal customers and/or enterprise IT department.
- Hands-on experience and strong understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Proven experience in triaging customer/client issues, and after hours support.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to clearly understand and articulate complex problems.
- Very strong interpersonal skills able to work at all levels of the organization.
- Any AWS / Cloud experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field.
- US Citizenship is required, and the ability to obtain and maintain a DHS Public Trust suitability.