Location: Columbus, OH
Requisition ID: 4097
Reporting to the Manager, this is a highly technical role, providing post-sales support of Juniper Network Products. The Resident Engineer will reside at the customer location and is expected to have expertise on Juniper products deployed or to be deployed within the customer’s service provider network and provide technical and operational support on network issues, on-going certification, and testing efforts.
- Day to day support and troubleshooting for network issues
- Applying industry best practices to the design, planning, and implementation of the network and the tools driving it
- Applying extensive industry experience to optimize network performance and proactively analyze potential enhancements
- Understand concepts of modeling design optimization.
This is a full-time position and may require long work hours or occasional on call weekend support. Technical support to the customer may require the Resident Engineer to:
- Understand the customer’s organizational structure and become familiar with the customer’s network implementation and support processes and procedures to help in designing a network that is available and sustainable.
- To hold network information gathering workshops with the Customer to understand the Customer’s existing network design and technical requirements of new network designs.
- Carry out testing of new tools, features, and functionality as required by the customer in a laboratory environment and to help develop plans to implement and verify that they are operating correctly in the live network
- Test patches and fixes to operating software and to ensure that they are implemented and functioning correctly in the pre-production test network and then live network as implementation plans dictate.
- Hold technology workshops with the customer to discuss equipment and network problems, and to provide case status updates, including the reasons for any problems encountered and the workarounds and/or solutions that are being tried
- Support design and planning of Juniper MX, QFX, EX series and associated solutions within customer’s commercial network
- Support ongoing efforts in defining best practice policies for Juniper product applications used by customer
- To peer with other employees performing similar Resident Engineering roles where lessons learned may help minimize risk associated with major network upgrades or changes in the network.
- The RE will be expected to develop secondary skills in other products in the Juniper product portfolio.
Skills and Experience:
Preferred candidates for this position should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Computer Science with JNCIE certification. Candidates for this role MUST have a minimum 5 years experience providing implementation and technical support of networking products in LAN, WAN, or Internet services environments with either a technology vendor or a service provider environment.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to break-down work activity to achieve project goals
- Demonstrated ability to communicate project status and identify risk
- The ability to work independently and to function in a team environment.
- Strong customer interface and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and work calmly under pressure.
- Programming and scripting experience preferred (Python, Ruby, shell, awk, slax, etc…)
- Familiar with operation of management tools and network analyzers.
- Trend analysis to help deliver more efficient solutions to customer network
- An understanding of the protocols surrounding IP service provider networks. These skills include but are not limited to:
- IP/Routing experience (OSPF, ISIS, BGP, MPLS-TE, RSVP, LDP, IPv6, Routing Policy)
- Understanding of Multicast strongly preferred
- Routing protocol operation, migration, and scaling mechanisms
- Routing policies at BGP peering points
- VPNs and the associated tunneling technologies (MPLS,EVPN, L3VPN, VPLS)
- Ethernet switching and 802.1Q, QOS
- Software Define Networking (SDN)
The ideal candidate for this role should be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Service Provider architecture experience
- JUNOS CLI experience across MX, QFX, EX series
- Must understand BGP and route reflector topologies
- Must be able to communicate effectively and technically with internal JTAC, Escalation and Engineering teams.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with the customer.
- Scripting skills (Slax, Python, Ansible)
- Test equipment (such as Spirent, Agilent N2X, and Ixia) a plus
- Network management tools such as SNMP, Syslog, etc.
- JNCIE- SP Required
- Familiar with Junos Space