Participates as a member of the surgical team under the direct supervision of an RN/Charge Nurse/Clinical Manager. Functions in the role of scrub/assist to support a physician and/or RN. Responsible for direct and indirect care of patients. Assists with maintenance, care of instruments, supplies and equipment. Maintains a working knowledge of departmental and hospital standards, policies and procedures. Performs other duties as assigned.
The Birthing Suites Scrub Technician supports the Single Room Maternity Care and Family-Centered Maternity Care models providing care in accordance with the family-centered mission and philosophy.
- Describes, utilizes and monitors clean/sterile techniques used in a procedural setting.
- Identifies, gathers, and prepares instrument and equipment and specialty items for all procedures in a timely manner according to preference card.
- Appropriately applies gowning / gloving technique.
- Assists the team with procedure by setting up and assuring proper function of clean/sterile instruments/equipment.
- Practices appropriate initiation and maintenance of sponge, needle and miscellaneous item counts according to policy.
- Skillful in instrument passing techniques.
- Cleans, and cares for procedure / operating rooms.
- Assists with cleaning, and stocking of procedure, operating/Recovery and Delivery Room and participates in expeditious room turnover.
- Sets up Delivery tables and assists OB/RN with deliveries.
- Maintains clean, orderly environment during procedure.
- Performs a variety of difficult cases/ procedures.
- Acknowledges physiologic and day needs for the patients, i.e. size of equipment, maintenance of body temperature and patient safety.
- Assists the team in appropriate transport/transfer/positioning of patient.
- Notifies appropriate person to assure complete inventory for all items used and stocked in procedure/ operating room.
- Supports cost containment efforts of the hospital through conservation of supplies and care of equipment.
- Clinical Care: Ensure that quality patient care is delivered to all patients on a 24-hour basis, and the unit is maintained in accordance with professional and regulatory standards and the philosophy and goals of Hoag.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
• Required: Successful completion of an accredited Surgical Scrub Technician program or equivalent military medical core training, or Minimum of 1 year experience in Labor and delivery fields.
• Preferred: 1 year experience in Labor and Delivery fields
Skills or Other Qualifications
• Required: Demonstrates effective communication, interpersonal skills, organizational ability, knowledge of proper body mechanics, safety measures and infection control, ability to follow instructions, knowledge of age of population served, and additional skills and knowledge of equipment related to the surgical/procedural environment.
• Preferred: 1 year working experience at a Labor and Delivery unit
License and Certifications
• Required: BLS
• Preferred: N/A