This position is located at the Milliken SiVance site in Gainesville, Florida. The Quality Control Laboratory Technician facilitates the timely and accurate analysis of samples submitted to the Quality Control Laboratory and actively responds to the needs of internal customers. Shifts are typically 8- or 12-hours in duration, rotate through nights and weekends, and require working holidays on occasion.
- Analyze samples from multiple departments using a variety of analytical instrumentation and disciplines including, but not limited to:
- Gas chromatography b. GC-MS
- Liquid chromatography d. Ion chromatography
- X-ray fluorescence
- Automated and manual titration
- Automated and manual viscosity
- Automated and manual flashpoint k. Karl Fischer moisture analysis
- Wet chemistry
- Accurately document results of analyses in the current ERP.
- Analyze problems using critical thinking skills.
- Complete assigned instrument maintenance and calibrations, solution standardizations, consumables inventory, and other assigned tasks in an efficient and timely manner.
- Participate in the performance of method validations, Gage R&R’s, measurement systems analysis, correlation and matching studies, and other required studies.
- Initiate quality notifications when required and participate in the investigation process for quality-related failures of finished goods.
- Develop basic familiarity with the manufacturing process for standard products and a rudimentary understanding of the chemistry associated with each.
- Actively participate in the training and development of new associates.
- Complete other tasks as assigned by Quality Control management and/or supervision.
- SAFETY – Adhere to all plant safety policies and compliance regulations. Actively participate in the safety process through completing of safety audits, participating in safety projects, identifying Site Hazards and contributing to safety improvements, and being an attending member of a safety team. Complete annual safety training as required.
- Insure team safety audits are completed and all action items are promptly addressed. b. Insure associates have the adequate training necessary to safely perform their job.
- Enforce safety rules and continuously improve housekeeping.
- Lead incident investigations for near-miss and incidents on shift and document appropriately in database.
- Follow up on all safety investigations and action items. e. Promote safety as a core behavior and lead by example.
- Encourage team member’s participation in safety processes.
QUALITY – Become familiar with, understand and comply with Milliken Quality Policy, Standard Operating
Procedure(s) (SOPs), relevant ISO 9000 standards and Company Policies that are applicable to this position.
HAZARDOUS WASTE HANDLING - All associates who handle hazardous waste shall be given an overview of the regulations and company policies regarding the management of hazardous waste. The hazardous waste handlers shall receive detailed instruction on the proper handling, collecting, labeling, and transporting of hazardous waste as outlined in RCRA and OSHA regulations. Instructions shall also include whom to notify in case of a spill and proper
procedures for spill response. Educational requirements include the ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions. Instructions on handling hazardous waste shall come from the hazardous waste manager or appropriate designee.
High school diploma, some college-level chemistry, demonstrated work history, one to 3 years of manufacturing and/or laboratory experience, or a combination thereof.
Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry and one to 3 years of laboratory experience.
The successful candidate should possess the following:
- Ability to work well with others, both within and outside the QC department.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work rotating shifts, including weekends and holidays.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to function with minimal supervision after an appropriate training period.
- Ability to prioritize workload and adapt to changes in standard priorities.