Responsible for the management of daily laboratory operations consisting primarily of the execution of microbiological and chemical methods, including techniques, processes, quality control, and interpretation in a commercial laboratory operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Maintain quality and efficiency, ensuring all laboratory day-to-day execution is consistent and in adherence with FSNS’ standard of operations for all testing performed by maintaining a balance between laboratory supervision and administrative duties. Effectively execute enhancements to profitability, productivity, and efficiency throughout the laboratory.
- Partner with Laboratory Manager to hire, train, engage, empower, schedule labor and workflow, coach, counsel, review performance and develop all laboratory team members in accordance with FSNS standard of operations in a matter that promotes high quality, integrity, teamwork and a sense of urgency.
- Achieve a high level of proficiency in all positions within the laboratory.
- Participate in generating and interpreting operations budgets and various operational reports, as needed.
- Understand and assist with proficiency, unequivocal technical/scientific standards, employee training, quality control processes and records in all laboratories.
- Ensure that results are accurate through management of data traceability in LIMS system and hand written reports as well as adherence to approved laboratory techniques. Authority to stop work if standards are not met.
- Work with Technical Manager to ensure laboratory execution is in compliance with FSNS Quality Management systems, ISO 17025 requirements and customer programs to include internal and external proficiency testing.
- Address and resolve any malfunctioning equipment/facility issues or non-compliance of supplies and reagents.
- Be proficient in the practical applications of method validation, competitors’ methods, and industry regulations.
- Independently pursue and have a working knowledge of processes, procedures, and techniques in accordance with the FSNS written policies and procedures.
- Periodically review and visually audit laboratory staff and processes to ensure compliance with methods and FSNS standard operating procedures.
- Provide unsurpassed customer service, managing sample and testing flow to meet customers’ individual specifications and turnaround time deadlines. Communicate directly with laboratory client base, meeting with customers in person as necessary or as requested by the management team. Lead on-boarding process for new customers or testing.
- Isolate needs for any retests of client samples based on quality control concerns or abnormal results.
- Maintain a high degree of technical competence by reading scientific journals, attending professional workshops, and being aware of food industry issues and trends.
- Assisting with managing priorities and schedule such that individual goals as well as team goals are achieved with encouraged participation in the Food Safety Net Services Team
- Responsible for the safety of oneself and others working within their area
- Responsible for the completion of required training
- Authorized for method verification
- Supervision and oversight of multiple supervisors, team leaders and employees.
- Carries out all responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, standard operating procedures, and best practices.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations at all times.
- Maintain harmony in the workplace and professional business demeanor at all times.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Preferred BS/MS Degree in Microbiology, Chemistry, Food Technology, or related field technical procedures, or governmental regulations preferred or pursuing or equivalent work experience
- Must have 5+ years direct experience in commercial microbiological laboratory testing and 3+ years direct supervision.
- Customer service experience preferred.
- Must have an understanding of GMPs, GLPs, and laboratory quality assurance principles and procedures.
- Understanding of ISO/IEC 17025 preferred.
- Experience with computerized laboratory information management systems (LIMS) preferred.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and to handle other communications/computer components
- Potential exposure to odors, fumes, airborne particles, hazardous chemicals, and microbiological pathogens
- Noise level varies from quiet to loud
- Temperature varies from hot to cold
- Interactive and fast-paced team oriented tasks
- Overnight Travel may be required at the discretion of management
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
|About the Organization||Our company offers exciting opportunities for individuals interested in the food safety industry. We welcome individuals who are looking for a dynamic organization that prides itself in its unequivocal excellence in service to its customers and employees.|
Our People: We are committed to creating long-term value for our people, supporting their success and satisfaction as our internal customers and team members.
Diversity: We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer including (but not limited to) Women, Minorities, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Benefits: Our company offers an attractive wage and benefit package. Our competitive salary, combined with our insurance and benefits, make us the "logical career choice".
• Progressive 401k Retirement Savings Plan
• Employer Paid Short and Long Term Disability, and Life Insurance
• Group Medical
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Paid Holidays and Time Off
• Many positions which qualify for the company bonus program
|EOE Statement||We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. |