Thompson Coburn LLP currently has a non-exempt position available in our Washington, D.C. office for a full-time Legal Secretary with at least two years of experience supporting a FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) related law practice. Preferred applicants will have an Associate’s degree in secretarial studies. The person selected for this position must be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Operates a computer or typewriter, and transcribes digital dictation.
- Types correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents; drafts standard correspondence, memoranda and other documents.
- Screens telephone calls and records messages.
- Reads, sorts and dates incoming mail and faxes. Ensures that outgoing mail and faxes are delivered in a timely manner. If necessary, routes mail to specific delivery service and follows up on timely delivery.
- Establishes and maintains calendar and deadline reminder systems; utilizes master calendar system.
- Opens new files, requests conflict of interest checks with appropriate department, and maintains all client and general files. Conducts periodic review for possible storage of older files; files to be closed.
- Receives clients and visitors; maintains good public relations with clients; observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Schedules appointments for timekeepers.
- Processes bills; proofs billing sheets; reviews and edits bills.
- Works closely with administrative support staff (word processing, receptionist, business office, etc.); proofs documents returned form word processing; ensures that attorney timesheets are entered into billing time system in a timely manner.
- Performs overload typing, filing, photocopying or other secretarial duties as time permits and as requested by the floor team lead, other attorneys, or the Washington, DC Office Administrator. Also assists other secretaries with their workload as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the Washington, DC Office Administrator.
- Performs relief receptionist and switchboard operator duties as needed.
This position has the following requirements:
- Ability to read and write in order to proof and perform minor editing (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling) of routine law office correspondence and legal case matters. Perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents; maintain records and filing systems at a level normally acquired through completion of high school or equivalent.
- Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft, dictation or transcription at a level of 70 wpm.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Ability to proofread typed material for grammatical, typographical or spelling errors.
- Above average knowledge of Microsoft Word, including knowledge required to create Table of Contents and Table of Authorities.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate by phone and provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
- Work occasionally requires a high level of mental effort and strain while producing a high volume of information and performing other essential duties.
- Must possess a high level of professionalism and interpersonal skills so as to be able to work well with employees at all levels within the organization and maintain all information in the strictest of confidence. Required to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with others.
- Must have ability to read, write and communicate fluent English; ability to compose documents in the appropriate business style using correct grammar and spelling; ability to communicate clearly using proper grammar and diction over the telephone.
- Must possess attention to detail, ability to balance multiple projects and strong time management skills.
- Must have ability to reason and apply common-sense understanding to situations encountered.
- Ability to process routine daily functions while being able to resolve sensitive issues and complex assignments utilizing above average critical thinking skills.
- Must be able to work overtime if necessary.
- The physical demands of this position are representative of those that might be met by an employee in order for him or her to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. These include being both mobile and stationary throughout the workday, having the ability to transport 50 pounds and being able to operate a computer and other business equipment found in the office.
Thompson Coburn LLP is a large full service, multi-state firm with offices in Chicago, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Southern Illinois and Washington, D.C. At Thompson Coburn, our behavior and the expectations we have of ourselves are guided by the values that we hold in the highest regard: integrity, a passion for excellence, a focus on serving the client, a value of diversity, innovation, creativity, trust and loyalty. Within the Firm, we value each other as people and colleagues. In addition to the exceptional working environment and a competitive salary, Thompson Coburn provides the following benefit options to qualifying employees:
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance & ADD policies
- Short & Long Term Disability Insurance
- Firm Paid 401(k) & Profit Sharing plans
- Parking/Transportation Stipend
- Section 125 Plan (Pre-tax premiums, dependent care and medical reimbursement)
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Employee Wellness Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- College Savings Plan Deductions (529 Plans)
- Long Term Care
Candidates interested in applying to Thompson Coburn LLP are required to complete our online application which can be found by visiting the site below.