OPEN TO ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS
AGES 18-20 YEARS OLD
This is the trainee level of law enforcement work for the Maryland Transportation Authority Police. The employee in this classification receives instruction in commercial vehicle safety inspections, the operation of specialized mobile equipment, traffic flow direction and providing information to travelers. As the work experience progresses, the employee is required to assume more responsible and difficult functions. MDTA Police Cadets do not have the power of arrest and do not bear arms.
Employees receive supervision from an MDTA Police Supervisor. Employees in this class are considered essential employees and are subject to emergency call back procedures, twenty-four hours a day, as may be required in order to maintain continuous operation of a facility. The work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions including standing and walking at commercial vehicle inspection stations and scale houses and on roadways under conditions of traffic noise and congestion. The employee may occasionally be exposed to fumes and smoke.
1. Physical Agility Test
2. Orientation and Written Examination
3. Oral Board Interview
4. Background Investigation
5. Polygraph Examination
6. Medical and Psychological Examination
TO APPLY: Visit mdtapolice.maryland.gov
1. Candidates will be required to satisfactorily complete a polygraph examination and background investigation. Candidates must pass an entrance test and, under a conditional job offer, a physical examination.
2. Candidates will be subject to pre-employment drug/alcohol testing for current illegal use of drugs and/or prohibited use of alcohol.
3. Candidates must successfully complete an agency job related agility test.
4. Employees in these safety-sensitive classifications may be subject to random and/or post-accident drug/alcohol testing in accordance with Authority regulations on testing for illegal use of drugs and/or the prohibited use of alcohol.
5. Employees are subject to a one year probationary period.
6. Employees are required to successfully complete the Cadet training curriculum
7. Employees must make application for the position of Maryland Transportation Authority Police Officer I prior to the commencement of the first recruit class for which they become eligible. They will be required to meet all of the qualifications for Maryland Transportation Authority Police Officer I. Failure to apply will be cause for termination.
8. Due to the emergency service performed by this position, mandatory overtime or emergency call back may be required if the work situation so demands.
9. In order to contain continuous operation of a facility, applicants must be willing and available for duty at such hours, day or night, as may be required.
10. Employees are required to maintain a reliable communication link at their own expense for the purpose of emergency call back requirements.
11. Candidates are hired based upon the needs of the Department. Successful completion of all phases of the hiring process does not guarantee a Final Offer of Employment.
Note: The Maryland Transportation Authority is not sponsoring new employees in application of the H-1B Visa at this time due to budgetary constraints. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States under the Immigration and Reform Control Act of 1986. Federal regulations prohibit H-1B Visa candidates from paying sponsorship fees, all sponsorship fees must be assumed by the potential employer.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER MDTA does not discriminate based on age, ancestry, color, creed, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, or sexual orientation.
Relay Service: 1-800-735-2258
TTY Number: 711
Issue Date: 1/27/17