Unico American Corporation, through its subsidiaries, underwrites property and casualty insurance in the western states, primarily, California. The company's subsidiaries provide property, casualty, health, and life insurance products, as well as insurance premium financing and membership association services. The company's subsidiaries market their insurance products through a network of brokers and retail agents. Unico American Corporation was founded over 35 years ago and it is located in Calabasas, California.
The Underwriting Supervisor leads the team of Underwriters and Support Assistants by example and assists the Underwriting Manager, overseeing the team to ensure outstanding work is produced and behaviors pertinent to department business plans are being executed, in accordance with the Company’s Mission, Vision and Values.
Unico American Corporation may consider relocation assistance.
- $60 - $95K
- Identifies training needs of staff; communicates those needs with proposed solutions to Underwriting Manager. Participates in training of staff in accordance with company guidelines.
- Identifies recognition opportunities; communicates those opportunities with proposed tactics to Underwriting Manager. Participates in recognition of staff in accordance with company guidelines.
- Identifies areas where performance must be improved; communicates those areas with proposed tactics to Underwriting Manager. Participates in implementation of improvements in accordance with company guidelines.
- Ensures all outward facing work of the department is completed in a timely, thorough and accurate manner within established authority and in accordance with company guidelines; communicates progress to Underwriting Manager in a timely manner.
- Ensures all inward facing work of the department is completed in a timely, thorough and accurate manner within established authority and in accordance with company guidelines communicates progress to Underwriting Manager in a timely manner.
- All other duties, as assigned.
- Interpersonal Skills.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Time Management Skills.
- Organizational Skills.
- Technical Capacity.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
- Presentation Skills.
- Good Judgment.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Decision Making Propensity.
- Discretion/Confidentiality Sensitivity.
- Financial Management Prudence.
- Problem Solving/Analytical Skills.
This position has direct supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and to hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and stand; walk; use hands to hold, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Though some flexibility in hours may be allowed, the employee must be available during the company’s regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5pm and for additional time outside of regular business hours, to support the company’s business needs.
Occasional travel is expected for this position (e.g., visits to brokers, agents, trade shows, etc.).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Finance, Accounting or Marketing.
- Working to obtain professional certifications including CPCU or ARM.
- 2 years of underwriting experience in commercial property and casualty.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Must have proven track record of effective working relationships with peers.