The Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission (PVSC), a publicly-owned wastewater treatment facility located in Newark, New Jersey, is currently seeking a Maintenance Apprentice. Created in 1902, PVSC is the 5th largest facility of its kind in the United States, directly serving approximately 1.5 million residents in 48 municipalities located in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Passaic and Union Counties. The 140-acre plant is designed to treat an average of 330 million gallons per day (“mgd”) of wastewater with an annual average flow of approximately 241 mgd.
Position Summary: To acquire the intermediate and advanced maintenance skills needed to work at a wastewater plant by assisting in the maintenance and repair of all types of machinery and equipment and obtain obtaining a broad background in safe work practices and trade skills in Mechanical, electrical or instrumentation maintenance.
Under the guidance from Low Voltage Electricians I, II, and III, Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, Measure, cut, bend wire and conduit using measuring instruments and hand tools. Trace out short circuits in wiring using test meter. Strip insulation from wire ends using wire stripping pliers and attach wires to terminals for subsequent soldering. Examine electrical units for loose connections and broken insulation and tighten connections using hand tools.
- High School/Vocational School Diploma or equivalency certificate and possess a valid New Jersey Driver’s License
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in general maintenance.
- Must be available for emergencies and job assignments on a 24-hour basis.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English sufficiently to perform the duties of the position and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers and representatives.
- Must demonstrate the ability to learn and retain technical information.
- Basic knowledge of the standard tools, methods, practices and safety precautions involved in the particular function assigned.
- Must qualify for and possess the ability to perform entry into Confined Spaces while wearing proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).
Working Conditions:Workers are employed in conditions associated with a wastewater treatment plant and sewer collection system and will be required to work indoors and outdoors.
To Apply:All applicants must meet the NJ First Act residency requirements.
Please visit our website at www.nj.gov/pvsc, click on “Employment,” and then double click on the “Employment Application” link. Please email a completed employment application along with a cover letter to PVSCHumanResources@pvsc.nj.govHelp or mail your application packet to the address below.
Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission
Attn: Human Resources
600 Wilson Avenue
Newark, NJ 07105
The Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission (PVSC) is an equal opportunity employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status or sexual orientation. PVSC offers excellent benefit options and a pension plan. For more information about PVSC, please visit www.nj.gov/pvsc.