This position will oversee the effective operation and management of the information systems and related services functions, including managing staff members, support vendors and high level projects. The position establishes effective communication with appropriate executives and managers to ensure information technology needs are met and is responsible for resource allocations and special projects including budgeting and personnel management. This position is also responsible for providing EMR technical support as a super user through software development and provides hands-on support as needed for helping end-users with technical support for company devices, maintaining hardware and upgrading systems as needed to allow for a modern and consistent user experience. The systems will include but not limited to: desktops, phone system, computer network and other systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
Project & Personnel Management
- Directs operations of company-wide information systems, including telecommunications and data networks. Assumes responsibility for the development and implementation of effective IT planning and strategies by assisting Senior Management with long and short term IT planning. Develops a total strategy and direction for the Company’s electronic processing functions.
- Manages and directs the Information Technology department including; managing and overseeing the department budget and expenses; leading the assessment and training of IT staff members; making recommendations on the hiring, termination, advancement, promotion, or any other employment status change of IT staff.
- Provides hands-on involvement and support in the implementation of technology projects and being accountable for ultimate success of such projects. Ensures the implementation of cost effective and efficient systems and computer operations designed to meet current and future information needs.
- Keeps informed of new developments and trends in the technology field; making recommendations to senior management on desirable additions or replacements; preparing ROI analyses for management review; developing plans for acquisition and installation of equipment and software.
- Manages, directs, oversees, and ensures the efficiency of all computer operations, electronic health record, telecommunications, information technology, LAN/WAN networks, and PC systems. Prepares and maintains appropriate written documentation for internal systems.
- Assumes responsibility for ensuring internal and external professional business relationships are established and maintained with clients, vendors, trade professionals, etc. Ensures questions and concerns are promptly and courteously resolved.
- Other duties as assigned.
Help Desk & Desktop Support
- Provides software and application development to support the Electronic Health Record (EHR) system. Develop object-oriented organizational software assets including flexible web service assemblies, ensure that systems have proper controls and safeguards for protected health information, and perform quality control, code review, and standard data validation practices and follow quality standards for documentation for all upgrades to the hosted product.
- Provides first contact for software support to end-users related to accessing EMR, assists with technical issues related to EMR and other agency software systems, and operating system issues. Assists providers with software to enable access to EMR, including evaluation of provider hardware and installation of software. Provides oversight and day-to-day software support for related EHR functions and applications such as Crystal Reports, widget development, electronic labs, Health Information Exchanges, and dashboards.
- Manages help desk staff and provides secondary help desk support as needed for both hardware and software.
- Ensures that new systems, peripherals, and operating systems for repair, replacement, or upgrade are completed timely and encrypted appropriately.
Network Hardware & Infrastructure
- Manage and monitor installed systems and network infrastructure in concert with outside vendors.
- Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools, including VPN, firewalls, antivirus, and encryption in a Windows environment.
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability by conferring with users; analyzing workflow, access, information, and security requirements; designing router administration, including interface configuration and routing protocols. Maintains network performance by performing network monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting network problems.
- Secures network by developing network access, monitoring, control, and evaluation; maintaining documentation.
- Ensure security of data, network access, and backup systems.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot technology and computer systems.
IT Security Officer
- Serves as the Agency Security Officer for purposes of HIPAA security and compliance. Manages the development and implementation of security policies, standards, guidelines and procedures to ensure ongoing maintenance of security of health information and compliance with the HIPAA Security Rule.
- As Security Officer, monitors internal control systems to ensure that appropriate security access levels and security clearances are maintained.
- As Security Officer, performs electronic information security risk assessments and serves as the internal auditor for electronic information security processes.
- Provides information regarding HIPAA security rule requirements to all departments and appropriate entities. Stays current on federal and state security and privacy laws.
- Certifies that IT systems meet predetermined security requirements. Monitors the access control systems to assure appropriate access levels are maintained.
- Develops policies and implements them regarding content, web filtering, access, etc.
- Reports any downtime, compliance, or security issues to CFO and the Compliance Officer.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
Bachelor’s degree in Technologies or equivalent discipline from an accredited university, required
- Post-graduate or Additional IT training and certifications preferred
- Valid state-issued driver's license and minimum state-required automobile insurance.
5 to 10 years of similar position-related experience required
3 to 5+ years of management experience
- Knowledge of Systems Design and implementation in a database environment. Knowledge of technical user-related aspects of a personal computer environment. Knowledge gained through prior employment and training in Electronic Medical Records (EMR – Avatar preferred), SQL programming, Network Performance Tuning, LAN, VMWare, Network Design and Implementation.
- Knowledge of business objectives and strategies. Knowledge of budgeting and planning in the oversight of an IT department.
Proficient with backup and restore technologies
- Proven project management skills in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Excellent time management, presentation and organizational skills.
Proven management and leadership skills for directing staff.
The ability to interpret and apply complex technical information. Skilled in creative and adaptive program planning, design, implementation, maintenance and evaluation. Excellent problem solving, strategic planning, multi-tasking, quality focus, and coordination skills.
Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
- The ability to handle confidential information