Requisition ID: 18941
Job Function: Legal General (40000067)
THE CAREER OPPORTUNITY YOU'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR:
If you enjoy a challenge and the opportunity to have an impact on company success, consider a career at Whirlpool Corporation. Bring your ideas, enthusiasm, and passion to a place where you can make a difference. We are currently seeking a highly qualified attorney to be an integral player in the Whirlpool Law Department, working as part of the Transactions legal team.
Whirlpool's Transactions legal team is focused on providing legal leadership on significant commercial transactions - focused primarily on procurement and M&A matters. We strive to be a transactions "Center of Excellence" for the broader, global Whirlpool Law Department by providing expertise on transactions/contract matters and consolidating substantive transactions legal work in one team.
IN THIS POSITION YOU WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
Currently, we are seeking qualified candidates for a Legal Counsel Associate opening on the Transactions team of our Law Department primarily providing support to our Global Strategic Sourcing (Procurement) Organization.
This role will support the Transactions team and provide legal advice on a wide range of transaction matters, and in particular on matters relating to Direct, Indirect & Finished Product Sourcing purchasing contracts (international/US), supplier negotiations, supply chain & transportation services, strategies, and contract risk mitigation. The successful candidate in this role will work as i) an individual contributor supporting other legal team members as well as providing direct client support, ii) a member of a cross-functional legal and business team, and iii) a driver of first-class processes and practices. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Assisting with strategizing, drafting, negotiating, and administering Global Strategic Sourcing and related contracts.
- Advising on issues involved in contracts and transactions, including supplier sourcing strategies/selection criteria, impact of supplier related contract changes and risk mitigation options, contract enforcement, general contract and related disputes, supplier quality recoveries, terminations & transitions, and distressed supplier issues.
- Advising on supply chain, logistics, & transportation agreements including ocean freight, trucking, rail & air transportation, warehousing & distribution agreements.
- Providing legal support on other procurement and commercial issues (e.g., systems, manufacturing issues, appropriate contract templates).
- Creating and providing legal training to business partners on contract law and related areas of concern.
- Providing legal support to drive special projects and process improvements.
- Researching various legal issues relevant to Whirlpool's business.
- JD from an accredited law school, with strong academic credentials and state bar admission (ability to be admitted to Michigan bar is required).
- 2+ years of legal experience focusing on contract law/transactions and/or supply chain/logistics.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (both written and oral). Ability to communicate legal concepts and risks to non-lawyers in a concise, easy-to-understand way.
- Experience in problem-solving with an ability to understand business objectives and legal details while providing practical and sound legal advice.
- Strong analytical skills to identify & evaluate risks, negotiate deals, and offer creative solutions.
- Ability to adapt quickly to change in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to prioritize and manage a large volume of concurrent matters.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results and work well as a member of a cross-functional legal/business team.
- Experience with continuous improvement and "lean" principles is highly desirable.
- A positive, can-do, team-oriented attitude, and flexible approach with a good sense of humor.
ABOUT WHIRLPOOL CORPORATION:
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the number one major appliance manufacturer in the world, with approximately $21 billion in annual sales, 97,000 employees, and 70 manufacturing and technology research centers. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world. We stay true to our philosophy that says good business begins by not following but leading. Our brands and products help people make the most of their time so they can focus on making the most of moments that matter.
At Whirlpool Corporation, we believe that all people matter. Celebrating diversity and including thousands of perspectives empower us to create products that blend into every concept of home. Whirlpool Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
We are a group that enjoys working together in a collegial environment. Our offices are located at Whirlpool's Global Headquarters in Benton Harbor Michigan - on the "sunset coast" of Lake Michigan, where swimming, sailing, kayaking, waterskiing, boating, and beach volleyball are abundant. The company is host to a variety of employee resource groups, including a Young Professionals Network - a group of more than 700 local members who are active in corporate social responsibility commitments like Habitat for Humanity, Cook for the Cure, United Way,
Boys and Girls Club, and other social activities. A quick 90-minute drive from Chicago, Southwest Michigan is also home to a Jack Nicklaus signature golf course called Harbor Shores, 17 other public golf courses, nearly 20 wineries and 20 breweries, two art districts, state parks and many hiking and walking trails, many seasonal festivals, outdoor concerts and events all year long. Join us in making the most of moments that matter.
Additional information about our company can be found at http://www.whirlpoolcorp.com . Follow us on LinkedIn or join the conversation @whirlpoolcorp on Twitter.
Whirlpool is great place to work. We offer challenging opportunities, ownership of your role, great teams, and tools to build your capability. In our performance-based setting, you can take your career in exciting new directions-and as far as you want to go.
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the world's leading major home appliance company, with approximately $21 billion in annual sales, 92,000 employees and 70 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2017. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world. Additional information about the company can be found on Twitter at @WhirlpoolCorp.
Nearest Major Market: Niles
Nearest Secondary Market: South Bend
Job Segment: Social Media, Supply Chain Manager, Logistics, Manager, Procurement, Marketing, Operations, Management