MANUFACTURING ENGINEER/LAUNCH MANAGER (ME/LM)
REPORTS TO: Business Unit Leader
STATUS: Salary - Exempt
DIVISION/LOCATION: Plant Business Unit
NEW OR REVISED 12/2015
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Manufacturing Engineer will support Business Unit team members in the areas of problem solving, Lean and Continuous Improvement activities, and process development.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Shall adhere to all safety, health and environmental procedures, policies and practices
- Develop and implement manufacturing process on all manufacturing cells that meet customer quality expectations and manufacturing standards for efficiency, scrap, downtime, repair/FTY and change-over.
- Comply with all ISO/TS 16949 & ISO-14001 procedures and work instructions as it pertains to the Manufacturing Engineer position description
- Assure all manufacturing processes and manufacturing cells comply with PFD, PFMEA, and control plans approved through PPAP process.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required
- Ensures that all Manufacturing Engineering (ME) related activities in the office and on the production floor are carried out in a safe manner. Responsible to address any unsafe practices by any employee that are witnessed in any area on the shop floor or in the office.
- Effectively supports and understands the JAC Products Development System (JPDS) and overall launch responsibility. Responsible to complete on time all deliverables assigned to the Manufacturing Engineer under JPDS program and support JPDS program Gate reviews. ME deliverables includes ownership for the Process Flow Diagram, PFMEA, Capital Asset Request (CAR) Approval, Equipment Plan, and Installation, Equipment Qualification, Tooling and Equipment Tryout, Run at Rate, Operator Work Instructions, ME is to support the following 8 pack and Facilities and Equipment Plans.
- Verify BOM for parts manufactured on assigned manufacturing cells are accurate and contain proper quantities and weights for each part.
- Supports the development of packaging and ensures BOMs & packaging instructions are accurate and correct.
- Prepares project cost estimates, budgets, Returns On Investments (ROIs), and CARs as required
- Works with Launch Managers, Facility Tooling, and Equipment Suppliers to develop and build assembly fixtures, assembly aids, or other equipment needed in developing manufacturing cell to manufacturing parts.
- Ensures that work cells are set-up properly and contains the required equipment and information that enables proper number of operators to produce products at the assigned run-rate and to the required specifications. This includes such items as Assembly Tools, Safety Devices, up-to-date Standard Work, Operator Work Instructions, and Error Proofing / Poke-Yokes devices etc…
- Leads the creation and maintenance of specific process Work Instructions, partnering with the appropriate Business Unit counterpart(s) to ensure accuracy of process.
- Participate in quality stand-down for customer concerns, Use problem solving tools such as JAC corrective action process, 8D, 5Why, Fishbone Diagrams, Design of Experiment (DOE), etc… to help identify root cause, and support team in implementing permanent corrective actions.
- Responsible for information boards and the following metrics are being tracked daily and monthly on each cell. Scrap, Downtime, Change-over, Repair/FTY, and Labor Efficiency.
- Responsible for creating and updating Job Books for each part number on their assigned cell.
- Leads and supports productivity enhancing and cost reducing activities in reducing scrap, downtime reductions, changeover reductions, efficiency improvements, and improvements in repairs/ first time yield (FTY), Use problem solving tools such as JAC corrective action process, 8D, 5Why, Fishbone Diagrams, Design of Experiment (DOE), etc… to support these activities.
- Driving improvements through the JAC Products Performance System (JPPS). Implementing lean manufacturing concepts on their assigned cells and involving operators, maintenance, and tooling personnel in cell improvements.
- Implement Engineering Changes for assigned manufacturing cells. Assure all BOM and routers are aligned to the change, verify material quantity and weights, update all work cell information, and prepare ME responsible documents for PPAP and submit to QE for presentation to customer.
- Assists in audits of the Quality Management System of their assigned cells; includes compliance to existing work Instructions, processes, and forms. Includes internal and customer driven audits.
- Responsible for training Business Unit team members and operators on safety devices, manufacturing build process, standard work, process flow diagrams (PFD), PFMEA, work instructions, problem solving techniques, cell layout, information board, and charting cell metrics..
- Interfaces with suppliers as needed on processes, productivity, and product improvements.
- Manage Manufacturing Technicians (MET) on all tasks defined in the ME Technician Job Description. Daily support of MET’s in their roles.
- Performs all other functions required by Business Unit Leader.