BMT Designers & Planners is seeking a Project Engineer with experience leading and coordinating commercial and government naval architect, marine engineering and/or marine electrical engineering vessel design, construction and modification projects (ferries, work boats, patrol boats, research vessels). The candidate must have technical, design, and project management experience working with commercial and government shipyards and clients. Communication and collaboration skills to fully integrate with and manage a multidisciplinary teams and converse with commercial and government clients are a must and equally important as technical expertise. The candidate’s responsibilities may include:
- Manage the day-to-day design and integration activities performed by naval architects, structural, marine/mechanical and electrical engineers and designers involved in new vessel design or existing vessel conversion and re-powering projects
- Review design calculations and engineering drawings for completeness, accuracy and compliance with applicable specifications, regulations, and standards, and deliverable format.
- Work closely with program / project leadership team to identify required resources to execute design projects / project plans.
- Contribute to conceptual design through details design for new vessels and vessel conversions.
- Perform calculations to support design decisions and research and resolve technical problems
- Assist with developing and managing project schedules
Work Location: Alexandria, VA
Candidates must be U.S. Person who is a lawful permanent resident of the United States. Company will not sponsor a work visa for this position
- Bachelor’s degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, Ocean Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Professional Engineering License or the ability to obtain one within one calendar year of hire is highly desirable.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience as a practicing naval architect, marine engineer, or marine electrical engineering performing new vessel and modification design with experience in multiple areas of vessel design is required.
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing or coordinating vessel design projects for commercial and/or government clients, producing ship construction or modification work packages, and directing the work of engineering and design staff is required.
- Proficiency using AutoCAD required. Experience using NavCAD, GHS, finite element analysis software packages, and/or ShipContructor is highly desirable.
- Must have knowledge and experience researching and applying ABS Rules, CFR requirements, and military and/or commercial technical standards to vessel design projects.
- Shipyard experience preferred.
- Proactively investigates and resolves project issues including changes to scope of work, budgets, delivery time tables and resources.
- Experience developing, disseminating, and applying Quality Management System standards, such as ISO 9001.
- Confident and clear verbal communication skills are required to successfully listen, reach out, ask questions and work with multidisciplinary teams to facilitate consensus and complete tasks on schedule.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage resources and complete multiple and sometimes complex detail-oriented projects and tasks on time.
- Ability to learn new engineering software packages and design standards and integrate them directly into current projects is required.
- Physically able to conduct ship checks including being in confined spaces, climbing narrow ladders, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Advanced experience and knowledge of MS Word and Excel required. Experience with MS Project desirable.
- Proven ability and commitment to provide high caliber customer support to include understanding needs, managing expectations and communicating results and/or challenges.
- Committed to actively contributing to individual and team growth.
- Confident action oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and actively contribute to building and expanding consultancy services.